Graphics Chip Not Fully Recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkBowser

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I have an nVidia GeForce 6150SE and it supports Shader Model 3. But I have Ubuntu, and don't run windows. I have WINE, a program that allows running windows programs inside Linux. However my graphics chip capabilities are not fully recognised by WINE. How can I configure WINE to recognise my chip's full capabilities?

Solution
Well I'm no Linux programming expert but like I said, when trying to run a program in an environment it wasn't designed for through a "hack" like WINE (not a derogatory use of the word) you can't expect perfect behavior. I just think you have to take whatever you can get through WINE and if it doesn't work, the only option is just to use Windows.
As far as I know, you can't. WINE sets up a virtual environment to fool a program into thinking its running in Windows but a program running in WINE can't see the base hardware without going through the middleman, WINE, which translates between Windows and Linux system calls.

It seems to me that this kind of thing is pushing the limits of what WINE is designed to do, but WINE will never provide the performance of running natively on Windows even when Windows software runs on WINE. When I've played with Linux it was hit-or-miss in my experience just to get some arbitrary Windows program to run in WINE at all!

DarkBowser

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Are there any programs that you would recommend that recognise the sm3 capability? I could just go back to windows...

Not really, the best way to run Windows software (particularly when performance is important!) is to run it natively on Windows. As far as cross-platform stuff goes it's a minor miracle WINE works as well as it does and it must have been a ton of work for the developers of WINE just to do that. There is no other such utility for Linux.

Well I'm no Linux programming expert but like I said, when trying to run a program in an environment it wasn't designed for through a "hack" like WINE (not a derogatory use of the word) you can't expect perfect behavior. I just think you have to take whatever you can get through WINE and if it doesn't work, the only option is just to use Windows.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.