Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HTPC budget build

Last response: in CPUs
January 15, 2013 7:25:56 PM

I\'m building a HTPC and am a bit of a budget. Since I won't be doing a lot of gaming at first, will a FX 6300 handle my needs or do I need to 'invest' in a video card from the start. As for the video card I'm leaning towards a GT 640. What do you think?

More about : htpc budget build

a c 141 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2013 8:12:08 PM

Fx series does not have built in video so yes you will need a GPU.
m
l

Best solution

January 15, 2013 8:15:30 PM

dragonlord12832 said:
I\'m building a HTPC and am a bit of a budget. Since I won't be doing a lot of gaming at first, will a FX 6300 handle my needs or do I need to 'invest' in a video card from the start. As for the video card I'm leaning towards a GT 640. What do you think?

amd is the best way to go, get the 6300 cpu, excellent gaming and editing processor it can handle ALL latest games. the cpu is a big improvement from the 6100. ur going to need graphics card, UNLESS the motherboard you have supports integreated graphics. that means that the motherboard wil have a built in graphics card but it will be very low quality and dont expect to play high end games with it like bf3. its enough to boot you into windows and low end gaming. ull either need a motherboard with integegrated graphics on it, or an actualy discrete video card that goes into one of the pci express slots on the motherboard. you cant just buy an fx 6300 and no mobo with IGP or a graphics card and expect the computer to boot because without 1 of the 2 you will not eb able to boot up ur pc. if you have to buy ur parts at different times. for a gpu i would get a radeon 7850 very nice card for the price, or a gtx 660, yuo can go a little lower but i wouldnt personally. but i have a fx8350 and its a great cpu, the 6300 is the same performance as the 8350 accept when it comes to video editing, the extra 2 cores on the 8350 will be faster. but for gaming and an all around pc the fx 6300 is an awsome cpu especially for the price
Related resources
January 15, 2013 10:50:48 PM

For the video card I was thinking either the GT 640 or the GT 650. It seems that the lower end GTs are just repacked 500 series. The last time I built a computer people still used the 9500. The motherboard has integrated graphics. I would like to do a little gaming ,but since I don't have either a lot of money or a lot of time (poor law student here), I was wondering mostly if the 6300 could handle games without the gpu for now.
m
l
January 15, 2013 10:57:57 PM

dragonlord12832 said:
For the video card I was thinking either the GT 640 or the GT 650. It seems that the lower end GTs are just repacked 500 series. The last time I built a computer people still used the 9500. The motherboard has integrated graphics. I would like to do a little gaming ,but since I don't have either a lot of money or a lot of time (poor law student here), I was wondering mostly if the 6300 could handle games without the gpu for now.

well for starters ill correct you. its the gtx 640 or 650 no tthe GT. a gtx 650 is perfectly fine. but for the day of the geforce 9800 ect, those days are gone dont buy one. for gaming ull need a good cpu and graphics card. the 6300 is great cpu buy one. the integrate graphics tho will need upgrading... but u can still play games with it just only on mediu m settings and around 30fps... it wont be the best expeirence.
m
l
January 23, 2013 2:32:28 AM

Thanks everyone! The last time I built a computer it had a 9500 in it and that was about the best you could get for a reasonable price. I ordered the parts and am sticking with the integrated motherboard graphics until Summer when I have more money. (I'm a law student and survive off of summer employment and student loans.)
m
l
January 23, 2013 2:33:33 AM

Best answer selected by dragonlord12832.
m
l
!