Status
Not open for further replies.

joshyc5

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Hi, just installed my 550ti and I'm using it now, but unfortunately I have a 300w psu when it says the recommended is a 400w psu. I'm just wondering if I'm safe for the time being? I'm going to order a 500w psu in the next 1-2 weeks and basically I'm asking if the 300w could just handle the 550 ti for the time being.

My system specs are

intel i3 2130 cpu
nvidia gtx 550ti gpu
some unknown 300w psu
1x 1.5tb 5400 rpm hdd
2x 4gb ddr3 ram

My friend ran it on a 250w psu, with 2 hdds and a phenom cpu, but I'm wondering if he was just lucky that his system didn't die. I also ran a gtx 220 on a 200w psu, but I'm not sure if that was just luck either.

I just want to be reassured.

Solution
when it comes to untested psus, whether or not it will work is pretty much a gamble. though if you do any heavy gaming and notice crashes or shutdowns, then it may possibly mean the psu cant power the gpu enough(as gpus on idle dont consume alot of power)

joshyc5

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Yeah, knew it didn't draw 300w lolol, I was just wondering if I was safe of a psu failure or something since I'll probably be playing BF3 on high for an example.

when it comes to untested psus, whether or not it will work is pretty much a gamble. though if you do any heavy gaming and notice crashes or shutdowns, then it may possibly mean the psu cant power the gpu enough(as gpus on idle dont consume alot of power)

Solution

joshyc5

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

Okay good, it's reassuring knowing that it'l just shut it's self off. I can deal with that for 2 weeks untill I get a new psu.

Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.