owiegand

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Hello,
I have 3 monitors:
Dell 2408WFP
Dell SR2320L
Dell S2009W
I have an xfx 6850 that has a display port, 2x DVI, and a HDMI port. Currently I am using the two DVI ports to power the Dell SR2320L and S2009W. The Dell 2408WFP has an DP so I used a male to male display port cable to connect it. Only the SR2320L and the S2009W turn on, the 2408WFP goes into sleep mode. All I want to do is have three monitors with extend my desktop across all three. Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Solution
My directions from here on will be from the latest (non-beta) AMD driver Catalyst 12.6. While these directions may apply to older version I can't promise you that the menu layout will be the same. I also am not aware of how much information you know about computers and thus will assume nothing. The explaination below may be long winded...

Go into catalyst control center and set it to advanced view (preferences on the top right)

Go to the "Desktop Management" -> "Creating and Arranging Desktops". You should see in the middle a gray box with your screens drawn and numbered labeled "To configure a desktop...". Below that you should see a light gray box with your monitors drawn and numbered labeled "Please select a display.".

You should...

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

Guys, the OP has already said his 3rd monitor is connected via display port as the 2408WFP is display port capable, so recommending an adapter is not needed.

@OP have a read through this link >> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/344343-33-eyefinity-setup-guide

Good luck.

weilin

Distinguished
My directions from here on will be from the latest (non-beta) AMD driver Catalyst 12.6. While these directions may apply to older version I can't promise you that the menu layout will be the same. I also am not aware of how much information you know about computers and thus will assume nothing. The explaination below may be long winded...

Go into catalyst control center and set it to advanced view (preferences on the top right)

Go to the "Desktop Management" -> "Creating and Arranging Desktops". You should see in the middle a gray box with your screens drawn and numbered labeled "To configure a desktop...". Below that you should see a light gray box with your monitors drawn and numbered labeled "Please select a display.".

You should see all 3 of your screens on the light gray box.

If you don't, press the "Detect Displays" button and see if the third monitor is recognized. If the third monitor still doesn't come up, something is physically wrong with your setup.... please check if the third monitor works. Idealy, check to see if you can get it to work with the displayport connection.

If you do, go to the dark gray box and right click any screen and select "identify all". This will number all your current displays and help you determine which screen number is missing. Go to the light grey area, right click the screen that's missing and select "extend".

You can re-arrange your screens in the dark gray area, it's drag and drop. Let me know if this works for you.

Bonus: If you want to save power/don't need all 3 screens active at once, Windows Key + P allows you to cycle from extend to duplicate (eyefinity if thats enabled), or computer only.

Source: I use a 3x u2412m setup.

Wei

Solution

owiegand

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

Weilin,
I have tried this but the problem seems to be that the dell 2408WFP won't accept any input signal from the 6850's DP. The monitor continues to show the "Entering Power Save Mode". Even with just one screen I can't get the display to show a picture from the DP. Which leads me to believe the DP port on the monitor could be broken. Would you agree? If so, could you recommend any active DP to DVi adapters?

weilin

Distinguished
have you tried simply resetting the monitor back to factory defaults? I've never owned a 2408 before but is it possible to disable certain inputs? Could that input be accidentally disabled? Are you certain the problem isn't on the video card side? Is there another card (or a friend's computer) that you can test the displayport with? Even more simple, is it a bad cable?

owiegand

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

Weilin,
Great news got three monitors to work there wasn't anything wrong with the monitor or the cable. For some reason using DVI-HDMI-DP worked and DVI-DVI-DP didn't.
Thanks for your help

strucl113

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Hello
i have 3 monitors and i can connect only 2...
all 3 are recognized but i can select only 2 for screen.
2 are connected on dvi and 1 is connected with dvi to hdmi converter
please help me

weilin

Distinguished

What video card do you have? From what understand, you have 3 DVI ports on the video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.