HD 5450 showing as standard VGA adapter

blazedd

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
After installing my ATI HD 5450,the display resolution got reduced from 1920x1080 to 1400x1050 and the display is of very low quality.The card wont get detected as ATI 5450 but it is showing as standard VGA adapter,i used SIW and CPU-Z to detect the driver,which is getting detected but the name is still shown as standard VGA adapter. I also used the "AMD Driver Autodetect" and it showed the same driver which i downloaded from the AMD site,i.e,12-6_vista_win7_32_dd_ccc,for my 32-bit Windows 7 OS.Now i did try installing all the drivers but after installation is complete,i still cant see the catalyst UI or any exe file of catalyst which i am guessing could be because the drivers didnt get installed at all.Can anyone help me out with this?

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
go to your control pannel > uninstall > express uninstall
restart
download newest ATI drivers for your OS
right click on the file you downloaded >run as administrator > express install
restart
should work.

If it doesn't.
Unplugmonitor > manually power down computer by holding power button or pulling plug> start up, wait for windows sounds plug in monitor

I've done the latter in the past and had it work for me in the exact same situation you're describing.

blazedd

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Well,i did both and it didnt work,but then i enabled windows updates,and downloading and installing those updates fixed the problem. Thanks a lot though for taking out the time.