Good enough for my games? (BF3)

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Hello, I'm in need of a new computer, and an opportunity has arisen for me to acquire a laptop from the UK. (I'm in south africa.)

After a while of hunting, I've found this:

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Samsung_550P5C_1192061.html

Price is 580 GBP

It's an Intel i5-3210 2.5Ghz (dual core with hyper threading.)

Nvidia 650m 2Gb powering a 1366 x 768 screen.

6Gb of DDR3 Ram. I assume it's 1333Mhz.

And the rest... doesn't really matter. Now, questions.

1. Is this a good price for this? I cant find a cheaper i5 and 650m anywhere else, so I assume yes.

2. Will this play battlefield 3 at reasonable quality with reasonable framerates? My current HD 4350 can only handle the game at 800x600 with frame rates hardly into the double digits.

3. The performance of the i5-3210, I currently have a Core 2 Quad Q8300 in my current computer, I'd like the performance to be on the same level, but the i5 is only a dual core.

I've considered buying an upgrade for my current computer instead of buying the laptop, But a new GPU in my desktop would mean I would need to upgrade my 220w Psu, and I don't think a new GPU and PSU could fit in the suitcase full of junk that my friend is bringing back from the UK.

So... comments/thoughts/suggestions?

malbluff

Honorable
Should be capable of 40+ FPS on medium settings, just about playable on high. Price seems very reasonable. Can't find any sensible comparasons on CPUs, and Intel's site seems to be on a go-slow today. Given Ivybridge's general performance, shouldn't be a lot of difference, overall, but that's a bit of a guess.