Sign in with
Your question

Computer Cases

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2001 12:45:03 PM

I want to try my luck at building a computer. Can someone recommend a good full tower computer case I should use. I want to use an Intel Pentium 4 2Ghz with an Intel 850 chipset, socket 478 motherboard. I'm thinking about using an Intel motherboard or an ASU motherboard if ASU ever produces an 850 chipset, socket 478 motherboard. I'm new at this, so any help on what full tower computer case I should buy for this configuration would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Miles

More about : computer cases

September 15, 2001 2:31:26 PM

The main advantage of Intel mobos is stablilty. They are VERY stable. Disadvantages are: performance, and lack of overclocking options. It's your choice. First off, you're gonna need a P4 power supply. If you've got cash, go with the Lian-Li PC70. Aluminum. Look also at the Antec 1040B, which is quite large, and black. Good Luck.

P.S. Why waste your money on a P4???

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
September 15, 2001 4:49:52 PM

I have a Lian-Li PC60. It is an great case.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2001 1:10:23 AM

Thanks, Red. Why not a P4? What would you suggest instead?
September 16, 2001 1:25:42 AM

I would suggest an Athlon system. For similar performance, P4 system cost a lot more than an Athlon system.
September 16, 2001 1:43:25 AM

Intel systems = More stability, easier to build
AMD systems = More bang for the buck

I've owned both. Right now I have 3 AMD and 1 Intel setups.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --
September 16, 2001 3:34:34 AM

That's right, but I just don't believe the stability issues. I haven't had a single problem that couldn't have been attributed to my OCing or Windows 9x. Athlon systems produce more heat, and so need louder fan to cool them. But Athlon systems can beat equivalent P4 systems by several hundred dollars, and as Matisaro says "The cash left in my pocket....The best benchmark".

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
September 16, 2001 6:10:42 AM

i think the Athlon system is pretty stable too. I use my Athlon system for a few month now, it runs very stable.
September 16, 2001 3:12:41 PM

how quiet is it? im about to buy a pc70 with enermax 550 watt supply... are the standard fans quiet?

if in doubt blame microsoft...
September 16, 2001 4:48:16 PM

The PSU isn't what causes the noise...It's your hsf that will be rackin' up the decibels.

September 16, 2001 7:39:49 PM

If the Antec SX-1040 is big enough for you I would go for that. There is a larger case from antec though if you really want a monster tower. Check their site for performance cases.

<font color=red>Ever wonder what it would be like to be eaten alive by a Great White shark?</font color=red>
September 18, 2001 4:35:43 AM

The stock fans that come with the Lian-Li cases are of average loudness. The beauty is, there is a 3-way switch built into the case that allows you to turn them up or down depending on your needs. It gets real quite when you set them to "low". The Enermax PSU will certainly be less noisy than most as well.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --
!