nokia 3590 / 3595 data transfer

Last response: in Brands
September 14, 2004 1:30:30 PM

Yesterday I was on the verge of ordering DataPilot from Susteen when I ran
into a snag on the cables. The company I work for has a mix of Nokia 3590
and Nokia 3595 phones. I would like to be able to back up and restore the
phone book info on either model phone.

The rep I spoke with said that the software would support both phones but
there was no cable available for the 3595. (Not sure how they can claim to
support both if they can't physically connect to one of them.) A quick web
search returned multiple hits on a cable that is "compatible with the 3590
and 3595", that is to say the same cable for both phones. The Susteen rep
assured me that this could not be the case.

I called Nokia and their official stance is that they do NOT support any
type of cable or software for data transfer on either of these phones.

My questions are;
1. Does anyone know how the pinout is different on these phones?
2. Is there a cable that can really support both phones?
3. Does anyone know of a successful cable/software combination that will
allow me to do what should be a fairly simple (and imperative) task in
today's technologically wonderful world?

Please advise,
Steve

---
September 16, 2004 4:45:45 AM

"GSteven" <st5v5@s1f-w1yr5cycl5r.com> wrote in message news:<ci6rqc$d4ju$1@news3.infoave.net>...
> Yesterday I was on the verge of ordering DataPilot from Susteen when I ran
> into a snag on the cables. The company I work for has a mix of Nokia 3590
> and Nokia 3595 phones. I would like to be able to back up and restore the
> phone book info on either model phone.
>
> The rep I spoke with said that the software would support both phones but
> there was no cable available for the 3595. (Not sure how they can claim to
> support both if they can't physically connect to one of them.) A quick web
> search returned multiple hits on a cable that is "compatible with the 3590
> and 3595", that is to say the same cable for both phones. The Susteen rep
> assured me that this could not be the case.
>
> I called Nokia and their official stance is that they do NOT support any
> type of cable or software for data transfer on either of these phones.
>
> My questions are;
> 1. Does anyone know how the pinout is different on these phones?
> 2. Is there a cable that can really support both phones?
> 3. Does anyone know of a successful cable/software combination that will
> allow me to do what should be a fairly simple (and imperative) task in
> today's technologically wonderful world?
>
> Please advise,
> Steve

Officially, these cables doesn't have any data synchronization port
for corresponding cable. But there is still one possibility: both
phones does have special technological plug under the phone's battery.
Here you can connect thirdparty technological cable. However, this
data transfer may not function, if this feature is locked on firmware
level by your cellular phones supplier or your cellular network
operator (you will see 'Accessory not supported' note on the phone's
screen in this case).

We can suggest to have a look at Oxygen Phone Manager II (
http://www.opm-2.com/ ) for complete cellular phones data
synchronization. You can manage your phonebook, agenda (calendar), SMS
messages (receive and send, read and write, create new, delete, save
locally and export). You can download the latest trial here (
http://www.opm-2.com/download/opm2.zip ) to test phone's main
features.

http://www.opm-2.com/forum/

Best regards, Maxim Vyalkov
support@oxygensoftware.com
http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk/
http://www.smsactivex.com/
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 12:04:46 PM

Maxim,

Thank you for your post, however I am unclear on what you are saying. In one
paragraph you state that "these cables (phones???) doesn't have any data
synchronization port for corresponding cable." and that "both phones does
have special technological plug under the phone's battery." which may be
used. I understand that part. In the next paragraph you suggest that I try
your PMII product. What you do not say is where I can find a cable that just
might work with both phones AND your software.

I will gladly dload any software and evaluate it but need some help on
deciding which cable(s) to purchase. I fully understand that you are a
software provider and do not endorse the hardware manufacturer but that
policy leaves the consumer in the lurch. This is very similar to the
response I get from Susteen. In essence, and I'm paraphrasing, "Buy our
software because it 'supports' your phones, but good luck on finding a cable
to use for the connection."

Any guidance on getting the right hardware/software combination would be
greatly appreciated.

thanks again,
Steve

---
September 17, 2004 7:23:32 AM

"GSteven" <st5v5@s1f-w1yr5cycl5r.com> wrote in message news:<cibvgq$fr5c$1@news3.infoave.net>...

Thank you for your reply!

> Thank you for your post, however I am unclear on what you are saying. In one
> paragraph you state that "these cables (phones???) doesn't have any data
> synchronization port for corresponding cable." and that "both phones does
> have special technological plug under the phone's battery." which may be
> used. I understand that part. In the next paragraph you suggest that I try
> your PMII product. What you do not say is where I can find a cable that just
> might work with both phones AND your software.

These phones doesn't have official connection from Nokia and you can
connect them only using unofficial thirdparty cables.

> I will gladly dload any software and evaluate it but need some help on
> deciding which cable(s) to purchase. I fully understand that you are a
> software provider and do not endorse the hardware manufacturer but that
> policy leaves the consumer in the lurch. This is very similar to the
> response I get from Susteen. In essence, and I'm paraphrasing, "Buy our
> software because it 'supports' your phones, but good luck on finding a cable
> to use for the connection."

You can test the connection even with absolutely free trial license of
Oxygen Phone Manager II. You can download the latest trial license
here: http://www.opm-2.com/download/opm2.zip Connection module doesn't
have any limitations. I.e., program should pick the phone up even if
it isn't registered. Also you can test some function with trial
(phonebook reading and uploads (you can upload only one entry per
program session), sending SMS messages, all other sections work in
read-only mode).

Unfortunately, we cannot give any 'guarantees' or warranties on
hardware as even such cables manufacturers often don't provide any
warranty on their equipment. We can only use the best of our efforts
to help you, if you have any questions, concerning our program's
functionality.

You can find links to some cable manufacturers in 'links' section of
our website:

http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk/links/

or in various GSM topsites. For example, here:
http://www.topsitez.org/ or here:

http://www.wap-meet.com/topsites/

http://www.opm-2.com/forum/

Best regards, Maxim Vyalkov
support@oxygensoftware.com
http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk/
http://www.smsactivex.com/
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 5:51:12 PM

Hi,

Nokia never intended for their customers to purchase the 3590 or 3595
and use cables for data transfer, as they would prefer people to buy
the more expensive models for this. They are basically trying to
segment the market and keep the lower end phones as cheap options, and
limit their functionality so that people will still purchase the more
expensive phones.

However, ALL Nokia phones have some sort of cable to connect to the
PC- as Nokia themselves need to be able to service the phones.

You need the cable from
http://www.logomanager.co.uk/php/cat.php?id=106

You may want to purchase two of the cables- as the 3595 requires a
slight adjustment to the cable (a removal of a catch). So then you
could use one of the cables with the 3590s and one with the 3595s.

For any software, try the free downloads from
http://www.logomanager.co.uk/download.php
!