Sign in with
Your question

Random PC Restarts

Last response: in Components
January 15, 2013 11:42:36 PM

For the last month or two, my PC has been randomly rebooting when I played Skyrim, while I attributed it to a lot of the mods at the time, it's now crashing when just on the desktop just after boot... In fact it crashed before I started to write this post. I'm stumped. Nothing is overclocked, and all the components besides the RAM and PSU were replaced mid last year.

I'm guessing it's my power supply. I checked the hardware monitor in the BIOS and it showed about 2.89v on the 3.3v line, about 6v on the 5v line, and 13.98v on the 12v line. I don't know if that actually means anything, but I've never seen numbers like that before. Can you guys help me confirm/deny this...? I would love to be wrong, because I really cant afford a new PSU right now, but I've eliminated every other option. I have no multimeter, but maybe could take it to the local PC shop if that could really help troubleshoot.

Here are the specs:
ASUS P6X58D Premium Mobo
Intel i7 960 3.2Ghz w/ the Noctua DH-14 i think
AMD HD7970
3x2GB Corsair Dominator GT @@ 1066Mhz
2x1TB WD HDD's in RAID0
on a 850W corsair PSU

Is that too much for my PSU anyway? Like I said not overclocking, but I am running a TON of stuff off of USB.

edit: might add that I just plugged my PC into the wall out of the powerstrip and it still is happening.
Furmark is also rebooting it now too, just tried. What leads me to suspect the PSU even more is that I hear the PSU fan turning all the way off before turning back on again..

More about : random restarts

a b ) Power supply
January 16, 2013 1:06:13 AM

Replace that PSU as soon as you can and do not use the pc until you do lest you be buying a new motherbd to go with it. Those voltages are way out of spec.
m
l
January 16, 2013 1:35:07 AM

Wow.. Is it entirely unsafe to browse the web, edit documents and stream videos even? I don't understand what you mean by my voltages being "out of spec" - could you elaborate? I have read that the BIOS monitor is often quite inaccurate and many people suggest using a multimeter, but I honestly don't know what is normal.

Thanks for the quick reply, could I get a reccomendation for a replacement PSU? I was thinking I may as well get a 1000w one, but I'm really not sure what'd be best.
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2013 1:40:05 AM

I think you should test it with a multimeter. That way you know if your PSU is damage or anything. Usually 850w would be more than enough to run your hardware.
m
l
January 16, 2013 1:54:06 AM

Bah, I guess I'll go digging through some boxes tomorrow to see if I can find one, why not.

But if the PSU isn't the problem, then what could be causing something like this? Bad RAM is the only thing I can think of but I ran memtest not too long ago and it was just fine.

Would this be my best shot at a replacement PSU? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Or am I safe going to the 750W one and saving some $$? Be nice to have the wiggle room methinks though.

I really don't want to buy another Corsair product after my experience with their terrible customer service but doesn't look like there's a lot of other strong options.
m
l
!