Solved

PSU which choice is best?

6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about choice best
  1. You might be pushing the psu's limits with a sli config. What card are you going to use?
    Usually a 750 watt psu is needed for that.

Either way keep the antec psu if its not too old since its a decent psu already.
  2. Best answer
    I would use the antec personally. Mainly because manufacturers like to overshoot their PSU ratings and that 650 is rated for 456w on the 12v rail and thats... a little low. Plus I haven't heard to many glowing recommendations for ULTRA.
  3. mouse24 said:
    I would use the antec personally. Mainly because manufacturers like to overshoot their PSU ratings and that 650 is rated for 456w on the 12v rail and thats... a little low. Plus I haven't heard to many glowing recommendations for ULTRA.

I was thinking that too, but it has amazing reviews...

Also dont most graphics cards take 2 pci-e power cables? Both psu only has a total of 2 so you are going to need some molex adapters as well
  4. Thanks for the input guys. I haven't bought a new card for a couple years but did some research. Looks like most of the high end cards require 2 6 pin connectors. I'm going to be using 2 XFX 9800 GT's for a couple weeks until I decide what video card route I want to go. I think i'll probably go with the Antec PSU then, and since the ULTRA is still sealed in plastic I may just sell it.

Again thanks for the help and the heads up on the power requirements of new cards.
  5. Best answer selected by veedubster.
  6. veedubster said:

Antec will win
    Its SLI Certified
    And better +12v rails
    5 years warranty

Ultra is okay

Ultra is ok
    ultra give you less power for +12 rails
    But 3 year warranty, lifetime if you register the product
Ask a new question

Read More