Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gpu bottlenecking issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 14, 2012 7:13:19 AM

So recently I decided to upgrade my computer, did alittle research and found that I was basically screwed. At the moment I have:
2- 40gb harddrives
2.4Ghz Pentium 4 processor
Gefore 4 440 AGPX8
2.5Gb of ram

Ya it's like the walking dead for a computer :) 

I decided to update my Cpu but my motherboard and socket would allow the Intel Pentium 4 3.00Ghz be the best I can get. I also decided to update my Gpu to the Radeon HD 4670 AGPX8 as it was basically the best AGP compatable video card out there, and that fact that it's still cheap.

My problem is that with this "to be" setup would my crapy Cpu bottleneck my video card? If so what else should I do?

a c 187 U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 7:34:40 AM

you have a great run with your old pc. your going to be paying a lot for old parts that are not going to make your pc a gaming pc. your old pc would make a nice word processor or web machine for a local library or scouts or old folks home. you may be able to get a tax deduction for the donation. if you have a local micro center near you.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
55.00 the 620 is 5.00 less. an h61 mb is 50.00 most have two to four ram slots and one video slot.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
put in a 8g ram kit a 500g hd
550ti or 560 ti and you have a small cheap gaming rig.
if you need it cheaper look for amd combo deals..the amd cpu will still be faster then your old system.
if not look into a 775 cpu and mb..you should still be able to use most of your parts then be able to pick up an 8800 pci video card or one of the newer 7770 or 7750 cards.
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 7:34:50 AM

You're throwing out money upgrading that. You really need a whole new system
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 8:58:42 AM

Here's the cheapest I can make an upgradeable new gaming system.(at least in good conscience :) ). I can make one cheaper with AMD's llano chips, but that would severely limit your upgrade options. It's around the same price as combo deals go for on newegg but this is a stronger game machine and uses higher-quality parts than the offerings I've seen there.

case: Rosewill blackbone ($40@newegg)
PSU: Corsair CX430($25@newegg after mail in rebate)
motherboard: Asrock H61M-HVS ($50@microcenter)
CPU: Celeron G540($35@microcenter)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 4gb 1333($20@tigerdirect)
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500gb($65+$2 shipping @ newegg)
optical: LG 22x DVD-RW($12@microcenter)
video card: HIS Radeon HD 7750 ($85@microcenter after mail in rebate)

$334 total after shipping and MIR's
If you don't live near a microcenter, the build will be about $365 to get similar parts from other sites.
The llano version would be $270, but would have weaker game performance in addition to the limited upgrade path.

You can salvage your old optical drive if you'd like - if it's PATA, you'll need this PATA to SATA adapter ($3 on amazon). If your case has good airflow, you could maybe re-use that, but I wouldn't recommend trying to salvage anything else.

good luck!
a c 165 U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 11:49:04 AM

The single core CPU is not going to meet even minimum requirements for more modern games so it depends on what you're trying to do with this 'walking dead' ;)  system.
The 4670 is a good match for the CPU, yes, it'll be a little held back by the P4 but that does mean you can crank up the AF/AA to improve image qualiy without suffering a devastatng drop in framerates.
If you're wanting to plan more modern titles, the only option is a new or more up to date rig.
July 14, 2012 5:02:50 PM

Thanks for the ideas, and I probably will use them, but to go for an entire new gaming rig would take forever for me because I can only put so much money towards it at the moment. If so I was thinking on starting with the motherboard and going with the essentials like the power supply and HD etc... but again it'll take me awhile. Plus the computer I have now I was able to upgrade the ram and hd to what it is now by using parts from my EVEN OLDER Dimension 4500, is it worth it to get money out of it by selling it for parts or whole(I know it wouldn't be alot but it'll help :D  ).
July 14, 2012 5:47:49 PM

quilciri said:
Here's the cheapest I can make an upgradeable new gaming system.(at least in good conscience :) ). I can make one cheaper with AMD's llano chips, but that would severely limit your upgrade options. It's around the same price as combo deals go for on newegg but this is a stronger game machine and uses higher-quality parts than the offerings I've seen there.

case: Rosewill blackbone ($40@newegg)
PSU: Corsair CX430($25@newegg after mail in rebate)
motherboard: Asrock H61M-HVS ($50@microcenter)
CPU: Celeron G540($35@microcenter)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 4gb 1333($20@tigerdirect)
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500gb($65+$2 shipping @ newegg)
optical: LG 22x DVD-RW($12@microcenter)
video card: HIS Radeon HD 7750 ($85@microcenter after mail in rebate)

$334 total after shipping and MIR's
If you don't live near a microcenter, the build will be about $365 to get similar parts from other sites.
The llano version would be $270, but would have weaker game performance in addition to the limited upgrade path.

You can salvage your old optical drive if you'd like - if it's PATA, you'll need this PATA to SATA adapter ($3 on amazon). If your case has good airflow, you could maybe re-use that, but I wouldn't recommend trying to salvage anything else.

good luck!

Wait about the GPU it says that it has a PCI E 3.0 x16 but the mother board only has a 2.0 slot, does that matter?
a c 165 U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 6:09:42 PM

Depends on your circumstances.
If you need the system-for studies perhaps? keep it as is, it's more than good enugh for internet research and word processing and if the optical drive can record as well as play it's going to be handy for keeping your notes on.
As a gaming machine it's fine-if you want o play old games-but its days of playing current titles are long gone (in computer terms).
If you want to play some older titles, drop us a post, the GF4 was a decent card in its day but I'm sure E-bay can better it for a lot less than the cost of a 4670.
Otherwise, I'd split it for parts.
New build=Case>PSU>optical drive>HDD>CPU,MB,RAM>OS, at least that's how I built my last 4 rigs ;) .
July 15, 2012 6:35:13 AM

coozie7 said:
Depends on your circumstances.
If you need the system-for studies perhaps? keep it as is, it's more than good enugh for internet research and word processing and if the optical drive can record as well as play it's going to be handy for keeping your notes on.
As a gaming machine it's fine-if you want o play old games-but its days of playing current titles are long gone (in computer terms).
If you want to play some older titles, drop us a post, the GF4 was a decent card in its day but I'm sure E-bay can better it for a lot less than the cost of a 4670.
Otherwise, I'd split it for parts.
New build=Case>PSU>optical drive>HDD>CPU,MB,RAM>OS, at least that's how I built my last 4 rigs ;) .

Ya, I use it for classes but I still want to be able to play some newer games on it like CSGO, Arma 2, or Skyrim.
a c 165 U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 11:29:30 AM

Apart from CSGO, for which the requirements have yet to be finalised, the other games you mention require a dual core CPU/WinXP system as minumum.
All I can now suggest is that you continue to use the system for classwork and start saving for a more capable system.
July 17, 2012 12:21:48 AM

Best answer selected by fishbelt.
!