Is a sound card worth the big bucks?

Zizo47

Honorable
May 21, 2012
I'm building a new rig and, for the first time, thinking about getting a sound card. The one I have my eye on is this one:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/creative-sound-blaster-recon3d-fatal1ty-professional-soundcard

What I want to know is, is it really worth it. Will there be £70 worth of a difference between that and the onboard sound. Mind you, I'm using the infamous Logitech X-530, so nothing that high-end. If not, could you please recommend one that's best value for money.

Here's the rig:

MBO: ASROCK Z77 Extreme 4
CPU: Intel core i7 3770
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1600mhz
PSU: Corsair CX750M

redeemer

Distinguished
Not if you have high quality speakers such as ie Audioengine 5+, since your running Logitechs I would stay with integrated sound which is damn fine as it is to be honest!

First off, I recommend against the Recon3D. Audiophiles slammed the series, and Creative has already replaced the line with the new Z series of cards. At that price point, the ASUS Xonar DX makes much more sense.

Secondly, you'd probably be able to hear the difference on a X-530 setup, but the better the speakers, the more a soundcard matters.

nleksan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Absolutely, a sound card WILL help you! Don't listen to people that say you need to spend "X" amount to hear the benefits... I hate how my hobby (Hi-Fi audio) has gotten to where the word "audiophile" is almost like branding oneself a snob. I own, use, and ENJOY equipment (speakers/headphones/DACs/Receivers/Amps/etc) that range from $30 to $7,500 and I have found one thing to be true in the "audiophile" world: COST DOES NOT EQUAL QUALITY (BUT SIMPLY TELLING SOMEONE THAT "SPEAKER X" COST SIGNIFICANTLY MORE THAN "SPEAKER Y" WILL MAKE THEM GREATLY FAVOR "SPEAKER Y" EVEN IF IT IS THE ULTRA-CHEAP ONE)!!!

If you plan on using headphones exclusively, the Asus Xonar DX or Essence STX will be the best card for you, from my experience.

However, if you plan on using speakers AND headphones (switching between them), the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD is your best bet.
The Z/Zx/ZxR are unproven at this point, and honestly I have to REALLY TRY to hear ANY difference between the Zx and the Ti HD, and that is with KRK Expose' E8B studio monitors (bi-amped w pure-silver 12AWG wiring) powered by a McIntosh amplifier....

TL;DR VERSION:
Headphones - ASUS DX/STX
Speakers (and headphones) - Creative Titanium HD

TRENDING THREADS