Sign in with
Your question

How to share internet to additional router (bridging?)

Tags:
  • LAN
  • Routers
  • Computers
  • How To
  • Internet
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
September 3, 2011 6:43:15 PM

I wasn't too sure how to label this question.

I would like to share an Internet connection from computer A via Ethernet to a wireless router B so that additional clients can wirelessly connect to router B and everything is on the same network with Internet access that originates at router A.

Wireless router A: I have no control over.
Yes, I am respectfully sharing Internet from a neighbor who has graciously left it open for others to use.
Computer A: windows XP, receives Internet via wireless from router A.
Router B: connect to computer A via Ethernet. is this possible? Is a crossover cable necessary?

I have tried a bunch of ways including using a cross over cable between router B and computer A. Also disabling all firewalls, bridging the networks on computer A via XP network control panel. However I am quite fuzzy on what all the settings should be. I tried a few combinations of fixed IP’s etc but there are too many factors I am unclear on. Should I even be able to get this to work?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I tried looking for discussion about this but couldn't find anything about this configuration.

Please ask any clarifying questions is more info is needed.
Thanks a bunch!

More about : share internet additional router bridging

September 3, 2011 7:08:16 PM

have tried using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which comes with XP?

Make sure you enable it before you connect the router.

also change the LAN IP of the router to 192.168.5.1 just in case so it will not clash with the IP received from your computer
m
l
September 3, 2011 7:25:41 PM

thanks so much for your suggestions emerald. what about the cable from computer A to router B? should this be cross over or not? from computer Ethernet port to wan port on router.
m
l
Related resources
September 3, 2011 8:02:48 PM

OK so I started trying to do this, I have never played with ICS before. When I enabled ICS for the wired connection I could no longer access the internet at all on any machine including the main pc. Is the computer looking to the wired port for the internet instead of the wireless where it should be? Also there is no ICS option under the wireless connection. Where am I supposed to enable ICS, on the wireless connection where the internet originates, or on the wired connection where I want to share the connection TO ? Remember I am wanting to share internet FROM wireless TO wired. Also, if all I am interested in is sharing general web browsing internet access which services do I need to share? HTTP & HTTPS are obvious choices to me but what about either of the DHCP options listed, or DNS? What to try next?
m
l
September 3, 2011 8:39:41 PM

what kind of router is router B?
m
l
September 3, 2011 8:43:54 PM

several options to choose from. current one is a netgear wgr614v7. all older home routers. i also have an older apple airport extreme. OS is xp pro w/ sp2. (i know the netgear is NOT listed as being DD-WRT compatible if that matters at all.)
m
l
September 3, 2011 11:43:00 PM

wow, i got it working!

while brief your responses did help me!
I think knowing i was going in the right direction was really helpful.
I ended up having to re-install the drivers for my Ethernet nic as that wasn't working properly.

ok so please consider this issue resolved with my thanks.

FYI i am going to make a separate topic to see if I can use an apple airport to do something similar so that the computer doesn't need to be on in order to share the connection.
m
l
April 2, 2013 6:32:37 AM

hey! need some help here.
I got an inetner connection and one wgr614v7 whose main input port is dead, and I have another router that supports wireless bridging. can u please tell me if I can share my PC connection with wgr614 and place other router for wireless bridging?
thanks
TrueBlueOrange said:
wow, i got it working!

I ended up having to re-install the drivers for my Ethernet nic as that wasn't working properly.

FYI i am going to make a separate topic to see if I can use an apple airport to do something similar so that the computer doesn't need to be on in order to share the connection.

m
l
June 27, 2013 5:14:45 PM

TrueBlueOrange said:
wow, i got it working!

Now that it's working, it would be helpful if you note the following at each device:
* IP address
* Subnet mask
* Default Gateway
* Preferred DNS server
m
l
!