ME

I have two computers, "This" and "That" networked via a Linksys cable
router, both running XP Pro. Using Acronis True Image I backed up the
C: drive of "This" to the shared documents of "That" computer. I
wanted to back up directly to Backup (F) of "That" computer because
it's a shared drive (partition). True Image kept disallowing it so in
the end I sent the file to the shared documents folder.

Now, I can't send the file to anywhere else on "That" computer. The
error window is headed "Error copying file or folder". The actual
message says:Cannot copy filename: there is not enough free disk
space. Delete one or more files to free disk space, and then try
again. To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary
files, click Disk Cleanup.

There is loads of space in every partition.

There are two things that might be relevant: the file is 4.6GB, and I
changed the name of one of the computers from some awful computer
created string of characters to one that I could remember. let's call
it kelly.

I changed the name in the established way by right clicking on "My
Computer" and doing the usual restarting and refreshing.

I still can't write directly from "This" to "That"\backup.

Any help on this one would be welcome.

Colin

Have you tried mapping the drive?
Right click MyComputer or My Network Places.
Click Map Drive.
Select any available drive letter to use for the mapped drive letter, I leave
them at Z:.
Browse to That\backup and select it.
Make sure Reconnect at Logon is checked unless you want to connect manually
every time you do a backup.
Click Finish.

You should now be able to create an image in That\backup.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I have two computers, "This" and "That" networked via a Linksys cable
> router, both running XP Pro. Using Acronis True Image I backed up the
> C: drive of "This" to the shared documents of "That" computer. I
> wanted to back up directly to Backup (F) of "That" computer because
> it's a shared drive (partition). True Image kept disallowing it so in
> the end I sent the file to the shared documents folder.
>
> Now, I can't send the file to anywhere else on "That" computer. The
> error window is headed "Error copying file or folder". The actual
> message says:Cannot copy filename: there is not enough free disk
> space. Delete one or more files to free disk space, and then try
> again. To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary
> files, click Disk Cleanup.
>
> There is loads of space in every partition.
>
> There are two things that might be relevant: the file is 4.6GB, and I
> changed the name of one of the computers from some awful computer
> created string of characters to one that I could remember. let's call
> it kelly.
>
> I changed the name in the established way by right clicking on "My
> Computer" and doing the usual restarting and refreshing.
>
> I still can't write directly from "This" to "That"\backup.
>
> Any help on this one would be welcome.
>
> Colin

ME

I have done that now, but not yet used it. I expect it's alright.

However, before I re-mapped I tried sending a 200K file to backup
using drag and drop and it worked, so I think that there is an XP law
that says you can't drop and drag a 4.6 Gb file.

Thanks

Colin

>I have done that now, but not yet used it. I expect it's alright.
>
> However, before I re-mapped I tried sending a 200K file to backup
> using drag and drop and it worked, so I think that there is an XP law
> that says you can't drop and drag a 4.6 Gb file.

Sure you can, I did it with a 8.43 Ghost image file, although not across a
network. I don't use Acronis, so I'm slightly put aside concerning the
drag/drop. I do know that FAT systems have a 4GB limit on file size. One other
thought would be if you created the backup as one fixed file size instead of
spanning/splitting it into smaller files, you may want to try setting the file
size to Automatic instead of fixed. Acronis will then span/split the image into
smaller files.