Just replaced my hard drive and now im STUCK !

blahblah8796

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
okay, so like 2 weeks ago my laptop (windows 7 Samsung RV510) , got a virus from external harddrive known as "the recycler virus" which made everything on my external a shortcut to the "recycle bin" , and that virus came from my girlfriends computer, but i took it off hers now. but unfourtanetly, it attacked mine really bad. i couldnt boot up my computer because it kept saying 'a disk read error and when i tried loading Windows Recovery Solution, it would take like the whole day to load, and when it would load, it would say something about the not being able to read the discs. i dont have my windows disc so i had to download one and put it onto a usb drive and i tried to boot my computer from that, but unfortunately, no luck :/ after a while, it just started to say "boot mgr error', so i just took it to Geek Squad at best buy and they scanned my computer right in front of me, and said my hard drive went bad. and that it probably was just a coinscidence that i got a virus than my hard drive went bad, because hds dont usually do that. so i left it with the Geek Squad guy and 2 days later i went to check if it was ready, and they told me they put in the new drive, but it still wont boot up. the guy said that they only have one windows 7 disc, and it seems to not be working, and that i need to order a samsung recovery disc from Samsung.. but thats like 40 bucks and will take awhile and im afraid ill still be stuck :/ is there a chance that it was just their windows 7 disc that was bad? ive been looking for a samsung recovery disc download but no luck. any suggestions that dont involve me ordering stuff or paying? should i try to download another windows 7 disc and try it again? please help! step by step instructions would be GREATLY appreciated !!

blahblah8796

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
just tried the download you told me to, did not work. the computer booted up to the windows 7 disc, than id i click on "install" and it would load for a secnd, than take me back to the "install windows. i also tried lunix, whixch didnt seem to work at all. i tried several windows 7 discs and none of them work. but most of them i downloaded them from the pirate bay so they might not be good.

Scott586

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Make sure you verify the integrity of the downloaded ISO by checking the SHA1 hash. It's not unusual to have problems when downloading such large files. The links dodger46 referenced are good, I've used them on several occasions.

blahblah8796

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
and i had burned this file to several discs, each time with a different problem. one time it didnt even get to finish, the other time it finished, but when i put it into the laptop is said it was corrupt.

Scott586

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
I'll attempt to not plug specific software, but you can go to download.cnet.com and search for "sha1" to find several free options. I use Hashtab myself.

First things first though. Slow down a little bit. You have downloaded multiple ISO images and burning several failed DVDs and gotten no where. Spend a little more time researching and you'll spend less time and aggravation failing. Forums are a great place to get information, but most of this stuff has been discussed and answered multiple times. Google is your friend.

Lastly, it's a little suspicious that the Geek Squad couldn't get Windows 7 to install either. If after verifying you have a valid install disk and it still fails, you may want to try reset your BIOS to defaults. If it still doesn't work, then you may be looking at a hardware issue.

How much did the Geek Squad charge for their services? Did you keep your old hard drive?

blahblah8796

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
well, i went to the geeksquad inside of the bestbuy, and the guy did the hard drive check right in front of me and after several tests, he concluded that the hard drive was bad. he charged me only the price of the hard drive(about 60 $ for a 320 gb ) and the installation was free, but i called to check up on it the next day, and they told me that they only has 1 windows 7 disc and it seemed to not work, and i need to order a samsung recovery disc from Samsung for like 30 bucks. they did give me my old hard drive with it thou.

Scott586

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Have you been able to download a valid ISO? It should take only 30 minutes to download and 2 minutes to verify the SHA1 hash. Also, when burning the image to DVD, choose a slower burn speed if possible (4X-6X), and have all other programs closed.

blahblah8796

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
okay ill do it right now, should i reset the bios than?

blahblah8796

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
okay, well i just got a version of windows 7 working good, but when i go to install windows, it asks me where do i want to into install it, and i click on disk 0 partition 1 (which is the omly option its giving me) and it says "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existiing system partition. see the setup log files for more information" , so what do i do now? what does it mean?

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

I had the exact same problems, :bounce: :wahoo: I had bought a new WD Caviar Blue 500GB drive and tried EVERYTHING to put windows 7 on my computer with the installation disc. I called WD and they comfirmed it was DOA, So I RMAed it then they retrned a Caviar Black version as they knew I was gaming. Its the manufactor's fault. :) I was sooo happy when my new one came in th mail as it was my first build, NOW I typed this message with the same HDD in Win7 Service Pack 1. Return that immidiatley

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

:) Its not windows at all, to be sure you can try installing on another HDD. I troubleshooted with old small 20GB harddrives to find out that my new one was bad also

blahblah8796

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
damnit, what are the chances right? okay ill take it back to best buy as soon as possible, hopefully thatll be the end of that.

blahblah8796

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
but i have an external 1tb hard drive, and i tried installing windows onto that from the windows disc, but its not letting me neither, ? is it even possible to run windows off an external hard drive/ or is there a further problem?

Scott586

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
I was going to suggest you take laptop back to the Geeksquad and have them check it again, but wanted to do one step at a time. It would appear that one of two things going on. Either you are very unlucky and got two bad hard drives in a row, or there's nothing wrong with either hard drive and your lappy hardware is having issues.

Factory warranty is 12 months, plus an extra 3 months if you registered it. Good luck!

blahblah8796

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
i wouldnt say im really unlucky.. when i had gone to the best buy geeksquad place, some guy was in there for his like 3rd or 4th time that same week because every computer he'd buy had a bad hard drive... now thats bad luck. lol. well, say its not the hard drives that are bad, what should i do than? im guessing that the reason why geeksquad couldnt fix my computer was because of the bad hard drive they put in, not teir windows 7 disc. and they just assumed it was the disc and they told me to get a samsung one, without guessing that it mightve been the hard drive they put in. anyways, how do i know if its the computer thats bad, not the hard drive? can i install windows ono ann external hard drive to test it?

Scott586

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Well since you've already involved Best Buy, I'd keep them on the hook until it gets sorted. What kind of hard drive is it? Go to the manufacturers website and look for their disk utility program.

blahblah8796

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
its a 320 gb western digital scorpio blue

blahblah8796

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
problem is fixxed ! i havent had a ride to go to best buy and pretty much have been stuck at home, and so i decided to test my girlfriends hard drive on my laptop, and it worked well and booted up fine, than i tried my new hd (the one which i was gunna go take back) on her laptop and it didnt boot up, of course because it didnt have windows installed into, so i put in the windows disk i was trying to use on mine, and everything was working fine ! i installed windows onto it, and i switched back the hard drives,and BAM, my computer booted up just fine. just had to install some drivers and everything worked fine. i guess my computer wasnt letting me install windows for some reason? but it had no problem booting it up i guess. i think it was BIOS that wasnt letting me install windows? im not sure but my computer is running now. so problem solved. thanks for your guys help!

Scott586

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Glad you got it sorted. Normally it's recommended to fresh install Windows if you change a motherboard. Assuming all is stable I guess you are good to go, but if you still have some instabilities, you might try again to re-install the OS on the target laptop.