Would I regret buying the OEM Windows 7 edition?

logan832

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I am on the fence about getting the OEM, or full edition. OEM is half the price at $90, while the full edition would stretch my $950 budget for a custom computer. This is my first time ever building my own PC, and I probably will not upgrade for a year or two (I would end up buying a nicer GPU). As long as I can play most games on medium-high with min FPS around 20-30 for the next two years I would be fine.

From my understanding its locked to you motherboard. So this would mean if my motherboard broke, I would have to get the same exact model to re install it?

What are your experiences with this? Even if I did have to buy another one, I would break even compared to the full edition. Then again, I do not plan on upgrading to 8 so perhaps it would be good to have the full version to be future proof. I am so 50/50.

If needed for whatever reason, this is my part list.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ggt7

malbluff

Honorable
It's true that the OEM is intended for single use, whereas the retail version can be used with up to 3 mobos. If you have the OEM, and your mobo fails, you would normally be permitted to re-instal it on the replacement. I've never done it myself, you may have to provide some info, to back it up, I'm not sure. If you are LIKELY to upgrade mobo, in the near future, it can work out cheaper, in the long run , to get retail version.
On your build, I note you have an i5-2500K, linked to a z77 motherboard, but no cooler. The Z77 motherboard is designed specifically for Ivybridge processors. The 2500 will work, fine, but, if you are going to use i5-2500K, you had just as well use a z68 mobo, as you won't get any more from the z77. A i5-3570K and z77 mobo is a much better combination, for only about $10 more.
Also, don't forget, if you want to overclock either processor, you will need to use an aftermarket cooler. The one supplied with the CPU's is not adequate for that.

logan832

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I don't plan to overclock. I also heard the the ivy chips run hot with the stock fans. To save money, I opted for the coolest parts I could find (looking through reviews) that could run well on the stock cooling fans instead of buying a $40 cpu cooler.

I planned on getting a z68, but the one I wanted was out of stock. That was the only one that was rated well in my price range. So I chose the z77.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I do have experience with OEM versions of an OS. I have had a motherboard fail on me. Since it and it's processor were fairly old, I upgraded the entire system. I did have to contact Microsoft and explain to them the motherboard failure in order to get the OS activated, but one phone call later, I was rocking on my new system.

This may have changed since the days of XP. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

-Wolf sends

malbluff

Honorable

There isn't any issue of overheating with Ivybridge, at stock speeds. Temperature only becomes an issue with agressive overclocking. The Ivybridge is an overall better chip, than Sandybridge, unless you want to overclock agressively. As Azeem40 said, you'd be much better of with a locked IB, like the 3450, or plain 3570 (which you should be able to get at same price as the i5-2500K), and match it with an H77 motherboard. Better, AND you should save a couple of bucks.

logan832

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Alright. I think ill get an ivy bridge then. Might wait for labor day to see if there are any sales. I should probably get a (k) version in case I want to OC someday in the future; never hurts. I could by a cooler as well.

But I still am on the fence with Windows 7. Leaning towards OEM though.

malbluff

Honorable
Don't forget, if you are getting the "K" processor, so you can overclock it, you will need the "Z" motherboard, to do the overclocking. (Z68 with i5-2500K, or Z77 with i5-3570K. If you get the i5-3570K and Z77, just get the OEM Windows, because you are unlikely to need to upgrade again, for at least a couple of years. We'll probably be on Windows 9, or something, by then!!