Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 14, 2012 10:49:56 AM

Hi This is my current set up

CPU : I5- 3570k 3.4Ghz
MB : Asrock z77 Extreme4
RAM : G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
PSU : Corsair TX-650W v2

Budget 270$-~350$

I am debating on the graphics card and have my system assembled without the GPU yet.
I was originally going for the HD 7850 card but after seeing the reviews and benchmarks of the Gtx 670 which is available at 399$ I am slowly inclining towards it. So I have a couple of questions.

1) Will the price of the GTX 670 drop to ~350$ range before Sept(Q4). I know the prices may fluctuate but my original budget was 270$ but now I have decided to shell out close to 350$ as I might use 3 x 23"inch setup in the future.

2) Will my power supply be enough to handle a SLi if I decide to go with another gtx 670 in future(I am talking about another year for the second card)?

3) I have read about the gtx 660 that is coming up but would it be comparable to a 670 in terms of performance per $? I have already started moving away from the 7850

4)Any other suggestions ? Should I wait for the prices to drop(the next generation) are there any releases in Q4 ?

Thanks

More about : gtx 670 advice

a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 12:52:55 PM

1)Difficult to estimate.

2)This article http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-670-2-and-3wa... says a 700W PSU is required, but I think your Corsair TX-650W v2 will easily handle the SLI.

3)Hard to tell. Theoretically performance of 660Ti will be close to GTX670 but again practical results may differ greatly.
Score
a c 181 U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 1:18:19 AM

^+1
There is no way to say one way or the other on the questions you are asking except your PSU might work for both card in SLI. It depends on how many amps are on the 12v rail.

You never did tell us what card you are using now. So I can't tell you to wait or not. Get back to us and we can be a little more helpful on the recommending to wait or not. Good luck.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 1:51:59 AM

If your PSU does not have 4 PCI-E power connectors, I would not attempt SLI as the Molex connectors used for the PCI-E adapters does not provide the correct amperage the GTX 670 needs.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 2:10:13 AM

^'^^'^^^ they have totally simplified it to you.....just to be sure you provide proper power to your both cards, you might go a lil bit higher, unless as stated above you have 4 PCI-E power connectors
Score
July 15, 2012 3:08:07 AM

The PSU is 53 AMP SINGLE +12V RAIL with two PCIE(6+2 pin ) connectors. Currently I am not using a graphics card at all.
I was originally planning for a hd 7850 crossfire since it requires only one 6 pin power connector. But for 100$ more if I could get a gtx 670 I might buy one for now and have it run for a year and later if needed, depending on the next gen cards I will decide which one to go with , I might resell the 670 and go with a better GPU or sli 2 670's. So I am not keen on sling them right now!

What I wanted to know was should I stop debating and make up my mind to go for a 670 or wait till the 660/ new versions of the hd 7000 series (with dual x cooling ) are released ?
Score
July 15, 2012 3:08:51 AM

DM186 said:
^+1
There is no way to say one way or the other on the questions you are asking except your PSU might work for both card in SLI. It depends on how many amps are on the 12v rail.

You never did tell us what card you are using now. So I can't tell you to wait or not. Get back to us and we can be a little more helpful on the recommending to wait or not. Good luck.

I dont have a card yet , I have a newly built system, just transitioned from laptops to desktops..
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 4:06:20 AM

For now, I would buy a single GTX 670 and your PSU having 2 PCI-E power connectors throws SLI out the window. To SLi the 670, you would need to upgrade your PSU that has correct number of PCI-E power connectors for SLI.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 4:57:14 AM

The recommended current draw is 30A combined for single GTX670 GPU, CPU, fans and other system devices using single 12V rail.

A single 670 requires around 15 Amps at max load. So total current draw with SLI GTX670 will be nearly 45 Amps. Your PSU is rated at 52 Amps on 12v rail. Total PSU wattage required for complete system: 540W.

Conclusion: Your psu with 650W can handle a pair of sli gtx 670's! Just use two molex to PCIe 6-pin connectors for the second GTX670. The max power draw for the two are around 325w peak and average about 250w under load. Here is a link to gtx 670 sli review: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_6...

You don't need to change your PSU.
Score

Best solution

a c 181 U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 3:31:33 AM

I would have to agree with ujaansona on the PSU and I do know my PSU's. What is the best thing about the newer nVidia and AMD card is they are using a lot less power then the older cards.

So the draw is lower so you are able to run two of the 670's on your current PSU. The 670 is the better choice over the 7850. I am saying that not because I like nVidia better.

I am saying it because in fact it is better. And believe it or not the PSU's are getting better in price and the 750w are in some cases cheaper than a 650w one but yours with a molex to 6 pin conector will work.

I thought I would show you a benck mark of the two cards so you can see how good the 670 is to the 7850. Good luck to you and it looks like you are putting a good rig together.

7850 vs 670
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=598
July 16, 2012 6:58:06 AM

DM186 said:
I would have to agree with ujaansona on the PSU and I do know my PSU's. What is the best thing about the newer nVidia and AMD card is they are using a lot less power then the older cards.

So the draw is lower so you are able to run two of the 670's on your current PSU. The 670 is the better choice over the 7850. I am saying that not because I like nVidia better.

I am saying it because in fact it is better. And believe it or not the PSU's are getting better in price and the 750w are in some cases cheaper than a 650w one but yours with a molex to 6 pin conector will work.

I thought I would show you a benck mark of the two cards so you can see how good the 670 is to the 7850. Good luck to you and it looks like you are putting a good rig together.

7850 vs 670
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=598

Yes my rig is coming really well, managed to tidy up those pesky non-modular 650tx psu cables and make it as neat as possible to make room for airflow. Will be sleeving the cables next week and add in some bitfenix spectre fans. Here are some pics if you are interested.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=m8i715&s=6
http://tinypic.com/r/nzemog/6

Yes..with the Kepler series the power consumption for these cards have reduced, that was the reason I went for a corsair 650w. I do know that it lacks 2 more 6+2 pin PCI-E power connectors but I still have 7-8months for me to buy a second gtx 670 in future. But right now to get started, I was looking for one. Thank you for that comparison, yes the gtx 670 clearly beats the 7850, + physx,3d vision and GPU boost.

Now I have narrowed down to either, I may still wait till end of august before buying any of these as after 660 launch the prices may fluctuate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
[OR]

Both have their advantages, I have been reading a lot of posts on the EVGA one, uses the gtx 680's ref pcb,does the fan make a lot of noise since it needs a higher rpm? On the other hand asus uses the dual fan cooling with less noise.Been hearing good results from oc'ing the EVGA one, what about the asus. Then comes the companies, would I be safe to go with either of them esp since I heard some negative remarks on the evga recently. Any suggestions/recommendations?
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 7:27:28 AM

Here is the $400 deal on the FTW card. Either card is great.

I have the FTW card and it's pretty quiet, my AC makes much more noise, even with the AC off, my Xbox 360 is louder. It's pretty quiet for the most part. I personally like how it looks over the TOP card, but the TOP is a bit cooler, about 8 degrees at full load. (My card goes about 70C max under load, not bad overall.)

If you decide to dip this card underwater, the GTX 680 blocks would fit the FTW card and with 8 phase VRM would allow you to OC this card farther than even reference GTX 680's.

Even if you don't OC this card, it's a bit faster than even the ASUS TOP card but the ASUS would OC a bit more because of the better cooling solution, pretty much, both cards are neck to neck. The EVGA GTX 670 FTW card is cheaper too.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/40613-evga-gefor...

Score
a c 181 U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 3:01:45 AM

The EVGA has a better warranty than the other card but in a sence I like the more cooling option. But the EVGA is a better deal and if it doesn't get to hot under load then go for it.

The pics are nice the inside of your case looks like mine but the front is totally different. If you can wait untill August for a lesser card but it won't beat the 670 at all. I would get the 670 and call it a day.

If you are just waiting for the price to fall. I don't think it is going to happen unless a retailer puts it on sale to drum up business. But it is your choice and anyway you go will be great even if it is the 660 Ti.

All the 6xx series cards are a whole lot better then the 5xx series. Good luck to you on what ever you choose.
Score
July 22, 2012 12:42:38 AM

Best answer selected by tbane.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 22, 2012 6:54:16 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!