Sign in with
Your question

Graphic Card requires a specific monitor cable?

Last response: in Systems
September 1, 2012 9:26:24 PM

When i plug in my graphics card to the psu my monitor won't work, when i unplug my graphics card, it works fine...

A friend told me i'd need a specific monitor cable to fit my graphics card to my monitor for it to work..

XFX HD 7850 2GB DDR5 DVI HDMI Dual Mini DisplayPort Product Description

The AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series is the upgrade gamers deserve. Based on the award-winning GCN Architecture, these cards are engineered for supremacy with the industry’s very first 28nm GPU design. Packed with incredible features, such as support for PCI Express 3.0, the ultra-efficient AMD ZeroCore Power technology and gaming at resolutions up to 7680x3200 with AMD Eyefinity technology, serious gaming starts here.

GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7850
GPU Clock - 860 MHz
Memory Bus - 256 bit
Memory Clock - 4.8GHz
Memory Size - 2GB
Memory Type - DDR5

This is my grpahics card with all the info off the website..

http://www.ebuyer.com/391774-xfx-hd-7850-2gb-ddr5-dvi-h...

here is the link, please can someone help? I have a normal Dell monitor
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 1, 2012 9:48:29 PM

The only time you need a specific monitor cable is if you are trying to utilize AMD's Eyefinity set up (3 or more monitors to one graphics card). Otherwise, any single cable you use should work for you.

Now it sounds like you're saying that when you connect the graphics card to the power supply, the monitor doesn't work.

I see one of two scenarios here:

1) You still have the monitor connected to the motherboard's onboard VGA output when it should be connected to the graphic card's output. The system is still booting up, but the video output is being sent through the graphics card and not the motherboard.

2) The power supply you have isn't powerful enough to run your graphics card which should result in your system not booting up at all.

If #1, make sure your monitor is connected to the output of the graphics card.
If #2, please report to us the specifications of your power supply (normally listed on a sticker on the side of the power supply).

-Wolf sends
September 1, 2012 10:26:47 PM

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Seagate 500GB Barracuda Spinpoint F3 Hard Drive - 3.5" SATA-II - 7200RPM 16MB Cache - HD502HJ
G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
XFX HD 7850 2GB DDR5 DVI HDMI Dual Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
NZXT Lexa S Case USB3.0 Version
Antec 520W High Current Gamer PSU

My setup
Related resources
September 1, 2012 10:37:31 PM

I can't connect my monitor cable to the output of my graphics card becuase it is a different socket. its a 24 pin socket or a USB socket.
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 1, 2012 11:02:45 PM

You need an adapter then; one that will change the output from your graphics card to match that of the input of your monitor. Looking at the XFX HD7850 2GB graphic cards listed on Newegg it looks like they all have DVI, HDMI and mini-Displayport outputs. If none of these matches up with an input on your monitor, then it's reasonable to assume your monitor only has a VGA (D-SUB 15) input. If this is the case, then you need an adapter like this one.

-Wolf sends

Edit - If you could clarify what monitor you have, we may be missing something here. Manufacturer and model number?
September 2, 2012 7:13:47 AM

I have a dell monitor. I did not buy the monitor so i dont know the model number etc but it's relatively old. The link you send should fit my monitor and the graphics card output. The only other input my monitor has the regular socket like this one..

http://www.ebuyer.com/170709-cablestogo-economy-hd15-m-...
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 2, 2012 12:08:13 PM

Yes, the adapter I linked would connect to one of the DVI outputs of your graphics card. Then you would connect it to your monitor using the VGA cable from your monitor.

-Wolf sends
September 2, 2012 1:48:34 PM

Ah thank you so much for your help! :D 

Do you by any chance know how to solve this problem?

Reboot and select proper boot device, Or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 2, 2012 9:25:15 PM

If there is a disk in the optical drive, remove it and reboot the system. If there isn't a disk in the optical drive, go into your computer's BIOS and verify that the Hard Disk Drive is listed as the first boot device.

Once you have verified this, if you still receive this message, then we need to get more detailed information of your system.

-Wolf sends
September 3, 2012 7:59:27 AM

It comes up with this message when their isnt a disk in the drive.

When i go into the BIOS i look at what i believe is the boot setup and it shows only 1 Boot option.. and its my Hard Drive. (Boot Device 1) Then there are no other options.

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Seagate 500GB Barracuda Spinpoint F3 Hard Drive - 3.5" SATA-II - 7200RPM 16MB Cache - HD502HJ
G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
XFX HD 7850 2GB DDR5 DVI HDMI Dual Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
NZXT Lexa S Case USB3.0 Version
Antec 520W High Current Gamer PSU

My setup again
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 3, 2012 1:56:38 PM

Seems odd to me that there is only the hard disk listed in the boot options. Normally, you'd see the hard drive, optical drive and maybe a USB drive.

Check your motherboard manual and to see which SATA ports (if any) are RAID ports and make sure neither the hard drive nor optical drive are connected to those ports. Reboot your system again. If you still receive that message, then it sounds like your Operating System install is corrupted and you should format and re-install.

-Wolf sends
September 3, 2012 2:45:41 PM

I dont have an operating system installed in my computer, i put the disk in and nothing happens. I changed the SATA port from IDE to RAID and still got the same message
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 3, 2012 4:45:57 PM

Ok. Looking at your motherboard, it appears that you have both SATA 3.0 (blue) and SATA 6.0 (white) connections. Make sure that your DVD drive is connected to the motherboard using one of the blue SATA ports. Also make sure that you have a solid power connections to the DVD drive.

For some reason, your system is not recognizing your DVD drive. This is why it's not listed in BIOS boot priority. If it's all connected properly and you're still getting the error message, it may be either a bad motherboard or a bad DVD drive. I'd recommend testing the DVD drive in another computer if possible. If it's DOA, then you should return it for another one.

If you're not willing to wait that long for a replacement, then I'd recommend Googling how to install Windows 7 from a USB flash drive.

-Wolf sends
!