UPDATING CPU

Funky_jj

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
I have an asrock n68c-s ucc motherboard.

Specs...

Support up to 95W Socket AM2+* / AM2 processors: AMD Phenom™ FX / Phenom / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core / Athlon X2 Dual-Core / Athlon 64 / Sempron processor
- Support up to 95W Socket AM3 processors*: AMD Phenom™ II X6 / X4 / X3 / X2 / Athlon II X4 / X3 / X2 / Sempron processors

What is the best amd processor i could fit to this motherboard, and would it help me run games better as this is what seems to be lacing as i have a amd athlon x2 which is dual core at 3.0Ghz

I also run a zoteac geforece gt 240 graphics card. if i was to update my processor would it help? or if not, what would be the next best step graphics card wise.... or even motherboard wise.

im not too fussed about making my pc future proof, just wanting it to be fast enough to run the current set up at optimal settings on games etc ...

So is it worth getting the best cpu that will fit? or going for a new mother board and a not so expensive cpu and graphics card?

All suggestions would help.

Current specs are

ASROCK n68c-s ucc
580watt psu
Amd Athlon x2 dual core 3.0 GHZ
2 x 2gb Ram
Zotac GeForce gt 240 1Gb Gpu

OS windows 7 32bit

Cheers

It is hard to recommend updating cpus on a board that old. I do recommend getting a new cpu/motherboard/memory/gpu. Yeah, that's a lot of hardware and dough, but in end you will much happier playing games on a newer rig. If you do take that route, let us know a budget and we can help ya with that. We also need to know your screen resolution.

dragonlord12832

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
You can pick up a Phenom II X4 for less than $100. That is about as good as you can do on that board. If you are looking at something a little more substantial, then I recommend going with either the AMD FX 6300 or the I3 3220 and a $50 board and $40 for 8gb of ram. That'll run you around $220. You'll still need a better GPU, but the 240 should be okay for now.