DM pylons quest: The madness within

Completely and utterly wasted by 3 poxy ghosts. Is this a bug in the game?

We were made to look like blithering incompetent idiots by the 3 ghosts at
the bottom of the ramp. Did all the other 3 pylons and killed tendris
without any problems (ok I know its not the quick way but we were doing it
for the first time plus we got chance to get repairs in the library),
everything set for clearing the last 2 pylons on the upper balcony and BLAM!
brick wall, just could not get past the right side ghost mob at the bottom
of the ramp. The battle wasn't even close, they were uber. We were
completely puzzled to say the least. Group was warr, rogue, sham, sham,
mage.

--
the more I learn the more I realise how little I know

JohnR wrote:
> Completely and utterly wasted by 3 poxy ghosts. Is this a bug in the game?
>
> We were made to look like blithering incompetent idiots by the 3 ghosts at
> the bottom of the ramp. Did all the other 3 pylons and killed tendris
> without any problems (ok I know its not the quick way but we were doing it
> for the first time plus we got chance to get repairs in the library),
> everything set for clearing the last 2 pylons on the upper balcony and BLAM!
> brick wall, just could not get past the right side ghost mob at the bottom
> of the ramp. The battle wasn't even close, they were uber. We were
> completely puzzled to say the least. Group was warr, rogue, sham, sham,
> mage.

I *might* be wrong about which group you mean, but if it is one of the 2
groups of 3 ghosts I suspect, they are pretty much the hardest "normal"
mob group for a 5-man group without a priest in game. This is one of the
few places in game where a priest is actually more useful than a
druid/shaman/pala as a 5-man healer, since they can shackle one and make
the battle more even. It is also why DM west is considered a pain in the
ass and avoided but most people.

"Stavros Christoforou" <stgreek@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> JohnR wrote:
> > Completely and utterly wasted by 3 poxy ghosts. Is this a bug in the
game?

> > We were made to look like blithering incompetent idiots by the 3 ghosts
at
> > the bottom of the ramp. Did all the other 3 pylons and killed tendris
> > without any problems (ok I know its not the quick way but we were doing
it
> > for the first time plus we got chance to get repairs in the library),
> > everything set for clearing the last 2 pylons on the upper balcony and
BLAM!
> > brick wall, just could not get past the right side ghost mob at the
bottom
> > of the ramp. The battle wasn't even close, they were uber. We were
> > completely puzzled to say the least. Group was warr, rogue, sham, sham,
> > mage.
> >

> I *might* be wrong about which group you mean, but if it is one of the 2
> groups of 3 ghosts I suspect, they are pretty much the hardest "normal"
> mob group for a 5-man group without a priest in game. This is one of the
> few places in game where a priest is actually more useful than a
> druid/shaman/pala as a 5-man healer, since they can shackle one and make
> the battle more even. It is also why DM west is considered a pain in the
> ass and avoided but most people.

Yes it is the mob you are thinking of, tried pulling the right hand mob
first and got utterly mashed , then tried the ghost that appears to be on
its own at the bottom of the ramp but is actually linked. Then had another
crack at the right hand mob but no success whatsoever. We talked of needing
a priest so it's definitely the right mob you're thinking of. In the end we
did a sacrifice run and all died half way up the ramp so that the shammies
could rez us there. By that time it was late in the day though and we called
it a night.

In article <431329e6$0$4213$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com>,
"JohnR" <repro007@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Stavros Christoforou" <stgreek@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > JohnR wrote:
> > > Completely and utterly wasted by 3 poxy ghosts. Is this a bug in the
> game?
> > >
> > > We were made to look like blithering incompetent idiots by the 3 ghosts
> at
> > > the bottom of the ramp. Did all the other 3 pylons and killed tendris
> > > without any problems (ok I know its not the quick way but we were doing
> it
> > > for the first time plus we got chance to get repairs in the library),
> > > everything set for clearing the last 2 pylons on the upper balcony and
> BLAM!
> > > brick wall, just could not get past the right side ghost mob at the
> bottom
> > > of the ramp. The battle wasn't even close, they were uber. We were
> > > completely puzzled to say the least. Group was warr, rogue, sham, sham,
> > > mage.
> > >

> > I *might* be wrong about which group you mean, but if it is one of the 2
> > groups of 3 ghosts I suspect, they are pretty much the hardest "normal"
> > mob group for a 5-man group without a priest in game. This is one of the
> > few places in game where a priest is actually more useful than a
> > druid/shaman/pala as a 5-man healer, since they can shackle one and make
> > the battle more even. It is also why DM west is considered a pain in the
> > ass and avoided but most people.
> >
> Yes it is the mob you are thinking of, tried pulling the right hand mob
> first and got utterly mashed , then tried the ghost that appears to be on
> its own at the bottom of the ramp but is actually linked. Then had another
> crack at the right hand mob but no success whatsoever. We talked of needing
> a priest so it's definitely the right mob you're thinking of. In the end we
> did a sacrifice run and all died half way up the ramp so that the shammies
> could rez us there. By that time it was late in the day though and we called
> it a night.

After innumerable wipes in DM West with priest-less groups, even very
good ones, I will not go back there without a priest, period. Those
ghosts rip a 5-man apart pretty quick... even with a priest, it's still
a serious fight.

Offhand, I can't think of another instance (ignoring MC) with such a
specific class requirement. You always need a tank & healer, but the
classes for those are somewhat flexible. A Tribute run in DM North
seems to require a rogue, but an engineer can also blow the door open
with top-end charges. BRD really benefits from a warlock to banish the
tough fire elementals, but a good hunter can freeze trap them very
effectively.

"JohnR" <repro007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Completely and utterly wasted by 3 poxy ghosts. Is this a bug in the game?
>
> We were made to look like blithering incompetent idiots by the 3 ghosts at
> the bottom of the ramp. Did all the other 3 pylons and killed tendris
> without any problems (ok I know its not the quick way but we were doing it
> for the first time plus we got chance to get repairs in the library),
> everything set for clearing the last 2 pylons on the upper balcony and
BLAM!
> brick wall, just could not get past the right side ghost mob at the bottom
> of the ramp. The battle wasn't even close, they were uber. We were
> completely puzzled to say the least. Group was warr, rogue, sham, sham,
> mage.
>
> --
> the more I learn the more I realise how little I know

We don't even attempt DM west without a priest.

"chocolatemalt" <chocolatemalt@dim=dot=com.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <431329e6$0$4213$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com>,
> "JohnR" <repro007@hotmail.com> wrote:

And DM West also is good to have a warlock at since there are lots of
elementals that do insane damage. DM East a warlock can practically solo.

El Durango wrote:
> "chocolatemalt" <chocolatemalt@dim=dot=com.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>In article <431329e6$0$4213$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com>,
>>"JohnR" <repro007@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> And DM West also is good to have a warlock at since there are lots of
> elementals that do insane damage. DM East a warlock can practically solo.

Apart from Hydro, there are no elementals in DM East. However, DM East
is indeed pretty easy, I love stealth runs (2 druids, 1 rogue) there.
Also, you are right on DM West, a lock is very useful there. The best
party setup for DM West IMO is:

Warrior
Druid
Warlock
Mage/Hunter
Priest

In this case, a warrior will be MT, the priest main healer. As for the
rest, on undead, the druid can tank the 2nd ghost while the priest has
banished the 3rd. That way, you have 1 tank and 1 dd per ghost, which
makes the battle a little easier, especially since the druid can shift
and heal any time the group is in trouble. The Hunter's pet (esp on 1.7)
can also soak up some damage and take the druid's place if the latter
needs to heal.

In article <8a6fe$4314237b$82a1c9eb$23417@news1.tudelft.nl>,
Stavros Christoforou <stgreek@hotmail.com> wrote:

> El Durango wrote:
> > "chocolatemalt" <chocolatemalt@dim=dot=com.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> >>In article <431329e6$0$4213$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com>,
> >>"JohnR" <repro007@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > And DM West also is good to have a warlock at since there are lots of
> > elementals that do insane damage. DM East a warlock can practically solo.

A warlock would be useful for CC on the elemental groups, but honestly
I've never been in a group that had a problem with them. The ghosts
will chew us apart if we don't have a priest, but the pylon
elementals... no big deal. The Arcane Aberrations have an insane aoe
mana burn when they die which can kill your casters instantly, but they
just need to know how to keep their distance.

> Apart from Hydro, there are no elementals in DM East.

It's full of demons, banishable by warlock just like elementals.

"Stavros Christoforou" <stgreek@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Apart from Hydro, there are no elementals in DM East. However, DM East
> is indeed pretty easy, I love stealth runs (2 druids, 1 rogue) there.
> Also, you are right on DM West, a lock is very useful there. The best
> party setup for DM West IMO is:
>
> Warrior
> Druid
> Warlock
> Mage/Hunter
> Priest
>
> In this case, a warrior will be MT, the priest main healer. As for the
> rest, on undead, the druid can tank the 2nd ghost while the priest has
> banished the 3rd. That way, you have 1 tank and 1 dd per ghost, which
> makes the battle a little easier, especially since the druid can shift
> and heal any time the group is in trouble. The Hunter's pet (esp on 1.7)
> can also soak up some damage and take the druid's place if the latter
> needs to heal.

We were in DM north last weekend, 4 guildies and a pickup mage:
- Prot specced Warrior
- Holy/Disc Priest
- Healing specced Shaman
- Feral/Resto specced Druid
- Pickup Mage

I like the group and the instance, because hybrid classes can really shine
there. I used some intermediate gear (which gave me about 7k AC in bear
and still 4k mana in caster form) and basically offtanked 1-2 mobs per
pull. As soon as the healer ran oom the warrior took over my mobs and I
took over the healing. Was a nice and smooth run :)

The best combo for 5man endgame instances include 1 tank, 1 healer,
1 druid/shaman/pala for offtanking and extending the healers mana pool,
and 2 damage dealers. Only my 2c of course.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (60) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

i did DM east and West only 1 time till end... (its so annoying). we
had a Warrior, me (druid), a rogue a mage and a priest. was easy but
really annoying...
DM west i did a lot of times to (i forgot name) the boss that drop
mindtap talisman and the flameguard shoulders. and back to the big tree
guy and then reset instance and do it again... we did this easyly
without a priest, also with 4 of the ghosts (3 + 1 patrolling stealth
add).
but if u lack a warrior and a priest u really need 2 druids! then its
also possible. u can farm DM west with 1 rogue and 2 druids or 2 rogues
and 1 druid really easy when avoiding the ghosts...

TRENDING THREADS