Sign in with
Your question

Power supply dead. Will my other parts be okay?

Last response: in Components
January 16, 2013 3:33:32 AM

Hello, I was playing borderlands 2 and all of a sudden I heard a huge pop noise and my whole system just shut off. There was no smoke and nothing didn't smell out of the usual. The motherboard light wasn't lit or anything and I thought it was the motherboard. I immediately flipped the switch off on my Power Supply and replaced it with and older equivalent. Is it possible that anything could have gotten damaged? Also the system is about 2 1/2 months old. The PC is running fine with my old one installed for the time being. My specs for my PC are below.

Case: Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T
CPU: Intel i7-3770K Quad-Core Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
RAM: Corsair Vengeance: 8gb (2 x 4GB) DDR3
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD
Power Supply: Corsair HX series HX750 750W
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 5:40:04 AM

Wow! an HX popped? They have pretty good protection so I think you'll be fine.
January 16, 2013 5:53:00 AM

Yeah, only heard one pop.. Wasn't that loud but enough to startle me. Also I noticed about 3 weeks ago, the front fan on my case sounded like it was revving at times as if the power being sent to it was increasing and decreasing. It made a weird humming noise. Also is normal for them to just pop??
Related resources
January 16, 2013 10:45:39 AM

Could it have also been using to much power with what I'm running? Or should I have had the Power Supply fan face up on my 600T case?
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 12:06:32 PM

That power supply was plenty for your rig. It shouldn't matter which way the fan was facing. It just died, you can't predict exactly when any part will fail. Return it for replacement or refund.
January 16, 2013 12:40:22 PM

zdbc13 said:
That power supply was plenty for your rig. It shouldn't matter which way the fan was facing. It just died, you can't predict exactly when any part will fail. Return it for replacement or refund.

Thank you! I appreciate the help. Do you think It would be safe to use a 700W that's about 5 years old to temporarily to game on this pc?
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 12:50:01 PM

Go ahead and try it. If it's a good brand it won't hurt anything. Let us know if it works.
January 16, 2013 12:56:13 PM

Seems to be okay.. I'm not sure exactly what it is but I know it's a 700w Rocketfish. Strangely, it boots and runs the pc better than the one that just blew.
January 16, 2013 1:05:54 PM

That is probably because the psu beforehand was horribly faulty lol
did you buy it on ebay or did you buy it used at all? :p 
January 16, 2013 1:15:06 PM

ybnrmalatall said:
That is probably because the psu beforehand was horribly faulty lol
did you buy it on ebay or did you buy it used at all? :p 

The one that was faulty which I purchased 2 months ago was from Newegg and the 5 year old RocketFish was purchased from BestBuy. With the faulty one, sometimes I the PC would boot to a black screen leaving the mouse and keyboard lit forcing me to push the restart button; Happened several times too.
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 1:32:35 PM

Even the best brands have faulty product. That's normal. But the Coursair in general is a much better brand that Rocketfish. I'd get the Coursair replaced ASAP.
January 16, 2013 1:37:34 PM

zdbc13 said:
Even the best brands have faulty product. That's normal. But the Coursair in general is a much better brand that Rocketfish. I'd get the Coursair replaced ASAP.

Yeah, I've been waiting for them to get back to me lol. I appreciate all the help guys!
!