Sign in with
Your question

Figuring out which component is bad on a new build

Last response: in Systems
September 1, 2012 10:38:22 PM

I've followed all of the steps in the "perform these steps before posting" section but still can't get anything to work.

Build is as follows:
CM HAF 912 Case
CM GX 750W Bronze Power Supply
Asus P8 Z77-V MOBO
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 Ram

etc etc (don't think anything else is important yet)

Right now I've got the MOBO , the Power Supply plugged in to the wall and both the 24 and 8 Pin connectors are plugged in (it ends up being 8 and 20). I took the GPU out to see if I could narrow it down to the MOBO or PS.

When I toggle the Power Supply the SB_PWR LED comes on, but hitting the power button on the case does nothing and neither the CPU or case fans will turn on.

Could I be missing something simple or do I need to replace the MOBO?

Any ideas or next steps would be greatly appreciated.
September 1, 2012 10:53:20 PM

it should be 24 pin. 20 pin might work for the time being but not recommended

did you plug the case connectors properly into the front panel connectors? you can easily mix up the + and -
September 1, 2012 10:54:31 PM

From what I understand, the EATXPWR on my PSU has the 20 with the 4 separated next to it. Am I supposed to try and plug both of those in? I had trouble getting the 4 piece next to it to be flush.

Which of the front panel connectors would make the power switch work? I'm seeing (from the case): RESET SW, POWER SW, POWER LED + POWER LED - .. Those are what makes the power button actually do something right?

If those are not connected right would it make sense that no fans are turning on?
Related resources
September 1, 2012 11:00:57 PM

as far as i know, you need to plug them all in so that you can use the power and reset buttons. you would also need the LEDs

you are supposed to plug in all 24 pins. i dont know how it wouldnt fit

in order to get the fans working, you need to connect everything and then press the power button to get the fans spinning indicating a boot
September 1, 2012 11:32:39 PM

Much thanks TheBigTroll, was a simple mistake on my part (+ and - mixup)
September 1, 2012 11:36:10 PM

no problem. good luck with the rest of the system
!