Sign in with
Your question

PC slower after installing new heat sink

Last response: in CPUs
January 16, 2013 4:20:18 AM

There were a few hiccups along the way This is kind of hard to explain, and I dont know if it really even matters, but bear with me.

After finishing the installation, the pc powered on but only for a split second then wouldnt turn back on. So i unplugged and plugged back in some stuff and it worked. During the boot, I accidentaly touched a wire that was shoved into one of the psu wires by the previous owner. he was doing this to power an LED strip. When i touched the wire it sparked and the pc shut off. I start up again and it says windows cant start, needs to system restore. Everything works, I install windows updates, but the pc is slower than it was before. Games and programs take longer to load. why did it make me system restore? any ideas?
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 4:40:46 AM

Do you have anymore info about the motherboard, CPU, ram, power supply, hard drives and the heatsinks? This computer worked before right?

The CPU might be throttling due to a bad connection with the heatsink leading to high temps. You might want to check out your CPU and MB temps (speccy is a good program I like to use)

The sparks might have been related to a short out burnout anywhere in the system. This was most likey caused by the wire and the PSU. It could have damaged anyone of the components in the system. I have had damaged RAM, ram slots, burnt motherboards. Your ram could have been damaged, the interconnects damaged, sata potentially damaged and HDD as well causing slowdown. Not sure if CPU can be effected.

In the future avoid messing with the computer with power on or connected to the wall. You should unplug everything and cycle (press the power button) before messing with the insides.

I am only an amateur at this so I hope some more experienced members will drop by to provide better feedback :) 
m
l
a c 121 à CPUs
January 16, 2013 4:45:13 AM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
I'm going to venture here that a driver was corrupted and is now 'orphaned' using up resources to find it's hardware which it can't locate because it doesn't remember what it was... terrible cycle. You can check to see if that is what is going on by loading your resource monitor widget - if your CPU is constantly spiking, that's a fairly good indication of an 'orphaned driver'. You can use a driver sweeper program to clean up any loose drivers running around. Do you remember any particular (you can also find this out in your update history) driver that was updated/reinstalled afterwards?
Hope it helps, let me know if I'm off track here (it seems to fit)
Hope it helps
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 4:53:38 AM

How about in the future dont buy a pc from someone who shoves bare wires into the PSU. Lol

The fact stickman regularly fries components and sees nothing wrong with that kinda makes me wonder too.(no offense just saying)

define slower? How do you know? Did you time it? Why were you screwing with the heatsink? Did you overclock? Was it overclocked when the crazy guy sold it too you? Did the bios reset?
m
l
a c 121 à CPUs
January 16, 2013 4:59:14 AM

unksol said:
... in the future dont buy a pc from someone who shoves bare wires into the PSU. Lol

^+ a gazillion - very sound advice
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 5:02:25 AM

unksol said:

The fact stickman regularly fries components and sees nothing wrong with that kinda makes me wonder too.(no offense just saying)

HAHAHA LOL No offense taken
I haven't fried anything myself personally, just seen these situations happen to friends who haven't been good to their stuff, done stupid things with their comps or had bad quality PSU fry stuff and then come to me to either fix or rebuild =P
m
l
January 16, 2013 5:11:09 AM

C12Friedman said:
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
I'm going to venture here that a driver was corrupted and is now 'orphaned' using up resources to find it's hardware which it can't locate because it doesn't remember what it was... terrible cycle. You can check to see if that is what is going on by loading your resource monitor widget - if your CPU is constantly spiking, that's a fairly good indication of an 'orphaned driver'. You can use a driver sweeper program to clean up any loose drivers running around. Do you remember any particular (you can also find this out in your update history) driver that was updated/reinstalled afterwards?
Hope it helps, let me know if I'm off track here (it seems to fit)
Hope it helps

CPU usage is moving from 5% all the way up to 30%. I reinstalled windows a few weeks ago and did not do a single update. my pc was operating normally.
m
l
January 16, 2013 5:12:46 AM

unksol said:
How about in the future dont buy a pc from someone who shoves bare wires into the PSU. Lol

define slower? How do you know? Did you time it? Why were you screwing with the heatsink? Did you overclock? Was it overclocked when the crazy guy sold it too you? Did the bios reset?

I didnt know at the time. And it was a great deal. I just upgraded from a stock fan. I have never overclocked. I havent tried resetting bios.
m
l
a c 121 à CPUs
January 16, 2013 5:17:57 AM

emd023 said:
CPU usage is moving from 5% all the way up to 30%. I reinstalled windows a few weeks ago and did not do a single update. my pc was operating normally.

Okay, seems I missed the mark here then which has me wondering... did the computer get past POST when you touched the wire into the power wire, causing the shutdown - did you hear a single beep before that happened?
m
l
a c 145 à CPUs
January 16, 2013 5:21:05 AM

perhaps the system was overclocked by him and now it no longer is. As mentioned already, use a monitoring program to monitor your temps and cpu speeds. Run prime95 to stress you cpu to see max temp and speed.
m
l
January 16, 2013 3:38:19 PM

C12Friedman said:
Okay, seems I missed the mark here then which has me wondering... did the computer get past POST when you touched the wire into the power wire, causing the shutdown - did you hear a single beep before that happened?

It has never beeped before.
m
l
a c 121 à CPUs
January 16, 2013 5:30:01 PM

I think popatim is more likely right with prior overclock, now stock clocks - see what CPU-Z tells you
m
l
January 16, 2013 6:03:04 PM

ok im going to reinstall windows and see if I still have problems. then I will overclock
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 6:28:44 PM

Do some stress testing with prime95 and check your temps at stock before you OC
m
l
January 16, 2013 6:33:39 PM

I like this idea about an orphaned driver. Sounds like a realistic possibility.
m
l
January 17, 2013 12:28:25 AM

reinstalling windows fixed the problem. PC is back to normal. Dont know what happened.
m
l
!