Upgrading my aging Radeon 4890, budget about 100-150 pounds

Hi, considering changing my gfx card, as after a whole system upgrade i still get BSODS and i think it is the reason why!
However, given 4890 was really powerful back in the day and the fact that i do not want to spend more than 100-150 pounds for the new one, i am afraid i might get something only marginally better, if not on par!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP
BUDGET RANGE: 100-150 pounds

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I dont play games much but when i do i like them flawless or at least enjoyable with no framerate problems. Latest game i played was Diablo which my 4890 handled great. Every now and then i will install a game to play, like Starcraft 2 or any new strategy or PC only game. I use 2 1920x1200 monitors for working and i also have an intel gfx card in my motherboard which i use to connect my big tv to it for movies.. Some flight simulator maybe :D

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD 4890 and Corsair 620W PSU. The psu maybe old but i think its enough.. It could also be the culprit for the BSODS if it started dying but i think this is the hardest part to fail on me.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: i7 3770k, gigabyte Z77X-DH3 board, 16gbs of ddr3 ram, corsair case.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: no specific one, overclockers? amazon?

PARTS PREFERENCES: no preference, just want no problems with drivers.. i remember ati having crap drivers

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200 x2

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The more silence the better.. The less power needed the better.. I would like to keep my psu if possible!

thats it folks!

thanks for all suggestions.. I am looking at the nvidia 560 vs 560ti at the moment.. Dont forget to judget the new gfx card versus the old one.. i would like to have at least the same performance, ideally much better.. if budget is too low let me know!
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrading aging radeon 4890 budget pounds
  1. You can just about get the 560Ti or the Radeon 6950 2Gb on that budget if you shop around which is the best performance you will get <£150. The best I can find at the moment is this 6950 £150 http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/11984339/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-6950-oc-2-gb-gd.html which is a bit better than a 560Ti. for around £25 more you could get a 7850 which is slightly better performance and depending on model should run cooler, quieter and use less power. Anything below a 560Ti will not be massively better than the 4890 you have.
  2. Thanks so much man. I just got home after buying the 7850!
    Will have to run tests of course but so far i am really happy at how silent it is!

cheers
  3. No problem I recently got the 6950 but kind of wish I spend the extra for a 7850.
  4. 7850? that would be alot better and if you have an aging PSU chances are you dont need to change it since 7850 has very low wattage requirements
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics