ASUS CM6340 wont boot to bios/respond

fabiand

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
Hey guys, I've made a major mistake with my new computer and I'm hoping that maybe someone can help dig me out of my hole.

I bought a new computer, just came in today. Factory specs except a power supply and a graphics card, but the fact that I had it up and running not 30 minutes ago leads me to believe hardware is probably OK. Or maybe not, I'm not even sure anymore.

I noticed that when i started up my computer, it would boot from the dvd drive, rather than the hard drive. That wasn't a problem, I just entered BIOS, set to default and then booted and it worked fine. Problem was, i had no idea how to make it do that permanently. So I decided to try out some settings and see what i could find.

I went to advanced settings, (and here I can only give some hazy memories since I thought nothing of it at the time) and went to "boot". From there, I set the boot option to my hard drive (or at least what i was certain was my hard drive at the time) and then saved the setting.

Now, when i start my PC, nothing really happens. The lights on the tower come on and the fan comes on, but nothing responds. My monitor doesn't wake up, nothing on my keyboard gets a response and I cant get back into BIOS to reset my decisions.

Is there a way to get back? Have I messed up my new computer by selecting an incorrect option?

Other than that one boot option, I didn't touch anything. Before that it was working fine, so I'm convinced that the 'boot' setting which I touched is probably the issue. Does anyone know how I an approach this?

---UPDATE

Okay, so while I was troubleshooting on my laptop, my PC booted up again. I can only assume that the first boot option (the setting I'd messed around with) failed and it moved on to the next one. I don't know, though.

Anyway. My point is I have access to my PC now, but i can't really discern why. As such, I'm scared to turn off my computer until I can figure out what I did wrong or how I can fix it. I don't want to shut down again, only for it to refuse to respond permanently.

Perhaps it would also be useful knowledge that I could still, when it wasn't giving me any boot response, get a response by pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE, wherein it seemed to reset the PC (though nothing really happened). Shortly before the boot finally worked I tried holding it for longer than simply pressing it.

DEL and F1, the keys which would normally have done anything during boot, refused to respond. As did all other suggestions (f8, f10, etc.) or any keys that I randomly tried. I can't discern what I did to restart this PC or if I could replicate it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Solution

I would start by resetting the BIOS to stock settings. You can do this two ways either by moving a jumper cap on your motherboard or taking out the CMOS battery then putting it back in.

Solution

fabiand

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
So removing the CMOS battery and then putting it back in will make it as though I had never messed around with BIOS at all? Will that have any other effects on my computer?

You can remove the battery but really you shouldn't have to. All you have to do is move the "clear CMOS" jumper to clear the cmos and then move it back. It should take only a matter of a second of two. I'm guessing this is a desktop and is a big box OEM like Dell, HP, Lonovo?

fabiand

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
Indeed, it's a desktop PC. I'll do that next time I need to shut down my computer, 'cause I'm certain there's no problem outside of BIOS.

Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer even though the answer was apparently extremely simple; I just couldn't find the right keywords apparently. I appreciate the patience to not skip over questions that some might consider dumb :)

If you are unsure how to clear the CMOS through jumper pins you have two options depending on what type of comptuer you have.

1) If this is a big box computer from Dell, HP, Lenovo go onto the manufactures website an look up your model number. Once you find your model computer there should be a setion where you can download an electronic users manual (probably a PDF file.) That will tell you exactly where the jumpers are on the motherboard and how to move them to clear the BIOS

2) If this is a home built computer look in your motherboards owner manual that came with your board. Again it will tell you exactly where the jumpers are on the motherboard and how to move them to clear the BIOS