phlip

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Any of you use subject for wow? What's involved/required in setting local
PC up to a team speak server?

Thanks!

Phlip

My guild has two servers. Ventrillo and Teamspeak. They're using Vent
now saying it's better quality. (I tried both and can agree.)

>From my standpoint I simply downloaded the clients, installed them, ran
them and provided the log on info they'd given me, and I was up and
running. There's some adjustment to make for mike sensitivity but that
was painless and done in the programs themselves.

1) Download client.
2) Install
3) Run program
4) Provide connection/log on info.
5) Actually log on.
6) Adjust sensitivities.
7) Start WoW
8) Try out your best "Let's do this! LEEEEEEROY JEEENKINS! ... At
least I have chicken." imitation. See if that gets you booted or not.
If not, you've made some real friends. :)

My guild uses Ventrilo and Teamspeak. Dunno why they keep changing so much.

"phlip" <phil*nospam*mcr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Any of you use subject for wow? What's involved/required in setting local
> PC up to a team speak server?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Phlip

Our guild [also] uses teamspeak. Very easy to set up. Also, very prevalent
(i.e., lots of servers). I've not used anything else so I do not know how it
stacks up against other similar products. However, can say that playing
WoW with this capability is very, very cool.

Cheers,

Michael

"phlip" <phil*nospam*mcr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Any of you use subject for wow? What's involved/required in setting local
> PC up to a team speak server?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Phlip

"phlip" <phil*nospam*mcr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Any of you use subject for wow? What's involved/required in setting local
> PC up to a team speak server?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Phlip

I run a TS server. Comcrap 4 megabit down 300k up on a decent machine,
AMD2500+ 768 meg of RAM. Ran a Battlecom server for years in other games
but Battlecom was bought & killed by the Evil Empire. Battlecom was the
BEST but was not written for Win2K or WinXP. More about that below.

All that is needed is a good connection & a computer. I don't recommend
using the same machine as you play WoW on as the processor will be busy & it
could cause bad performance on your TS server. So basically a dedicated
machine.

I have had over 10 people without an issue. A friend of mine runs one at
his business & has 35+ regularly on it but they do have issues all the time
when it gets loaded up. He has a commercial connection but not really
faster than mine & the server machine he uses is better but again, not much
better than mine.

Do you use a router? Routers & VoIP servers do not mix well. Your
asking aLOT of that little box to forward all those packets to the correct
machine. High dollar routers maybe but not the usual residential ones. I
pay extra for three I.P.s (Internet Protocol) from Comcrap, but we got alot
of machines in this household. My main box has it's own, the server has
one, & a wireless router has the third. With their own I.P. that machine
has it's own dedicated connection.

There are a ton of TS & Ventrilio server providers out there you can rent
servers from. Not cheap but if you pitch in with a few people it is doable.

DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE! Try it. Take ONE evening off from WoW (HAHA) &
screw with TS! Get the client & the server & mess with it. It is not all
that hard. I run a client on the same machine as the server all the time.
Works great! Once you use it for a while, you will love it. I invite
people on to my server all the time & the group runs very well using it. I
may offer it up to whatever guild the wife & I decide to join (we are very
picky & are guildless since starting on our current WoW server).

More about Battlecom. Battlecom was a great VoIP application. Easier to
use than TS, & I swear the sound quality was superior. Rock solid too.
They were giving it away in "beta" for years until they got big enough &
Microsoft took notice & bought them. BC was way better than MS's offering,
Sidewinder Game Voice. Heard of it? NO? HA well that is because it is
GONE. If you can't beat'im, BUY 'im. When XP was released, people that
ran it with Battlecom started to have issues, mainly with keyboard bugs. No
one could use BC anymore as it was written way before XP.

At one point Microsoft replaced SW Game voice with something called just
Game Voice. I downloaded it... although as you installed it, it looked like
an MS product, the install & setup interface was EXACTLY like Battlecom. So
much like it that it actually had the exact same keyboard bugs! All they
did was change the Battlecom interface to look like Microsoft's! They
didn't even update the software to run on XP!

"Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote in message

<snip>
> Do you use a router? Routers & VoIP servers do not mix well. Your
> asking aLOT of that little box to forward all those packets to the correct
> machine. High dollar routers maybe but not the usual residential ones. I
> pay extra for three I.P.s (Internet Protocol) from Comcrap, but we got
alot
> of machines in this household. My main box has it's own, the server has
> one, & a wireless router has the third. With their own I.P. that machine
> has it's own dedicated connection.

<snip>

I've not had any problems, running a TS server behind a Linksys
'residential' router, for 1.5yrs. I do agree with your statement that it is
a good idea to have a dedicated box for the server, though.

rene

"Strontium" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote:
> "Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote in message
> >
> <snip>
> > Do you use a router? Routers & VoIP servers do not mix well. Your
> > asking aLOT of that little box to forward all those packets to the
> > correct machine. High dollar routers maybe but not the usual
> > residential ones. I pay extra for three I.P.s (Internet Protocol) from
> > Comcrap, but we got
> alot
> > of machines in this household. My main box has it's own, the server
> > has one, & a wireless router has the third. With their own I.P. that
> > machine has it's own dedicated connection.
> >
> <snip>
>
> I've not had any problems, running a TS server behind a Linksys
> 'residential' router, for 1.5yrs. I do agree with your statement that it
> is a good idea to have a dedicated box for the server, though.

Yeah, I use a high quality codec (16KB/sec) and during our MC raids, the
server has an average outgoing bandwidth consumption of 600KBytes/sec with
some peaks a little higher. Considering latency, this equals to about
10Mbit/sec - bandwidth very few people have at home ;)

CU

René

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

"Strontium" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message

> "Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote in message
>>
> <snip>
>> Do you use a router? Routers & VoIP servers do not mix well. Your
>> asking aLOT of that little box to forward all those packets to the
>> correct
>> machine. High dollar routers maybe but not the usual residential ones.
>> pay extra for three I.P.s (Internet Protocol) from Comcrap, but we got
> alot
>> of machines in this household. My main box has it's own, the server has
>> one, & a wireless router has the third. With their own I.P. that
>> machine
>> has it's own dedicated connection.
>>
> <snip>
>
> I've not had any problems, running a TS server behind a Linksys
> 'residential' router, for 1.5yrs. I do agree with your statement that it
> is
> a good idea to have a dedicated box for the server, though.

Do you use any special settings with your router to get it to work? I have
heard many times of issues with cheap routers when trying to run TS servers.
Hell, TS clients for that matter.