Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 14, 2012 3:47:12 PM

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer

I'm running on an HP m9400f desktop
and I've never switched out the original parts it came with
but now I think it's time to upgrade my graphics card to something better than AMD Radeon HD3650

detailed specs are here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

I was recommended by someone to try SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card (11192-22-20G) but I noticed that my motherboard only supports DDR2.

to sum up my questions,
1. can my motherboard support this graphics card?
2. if not, what is the best graphics card for my motherboard?
3. my power supply is currently 350W but the upgrade requires 400W. would you recommend a power supply upgrade as well or can I decently play demanding games with the power supply I have now?
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 3:53:23 PM

1 yes it can the motherboard only supports DDR2 system memory but can support any memory on the graphics card. BTW the DDR5 version of this card is much better.
2 NA
3 you should be OK with that GPU on the PSU you have now.
July 14, 2012 4:02:31 PM

simon12 said:
1 yes it can the motherboard only supports DDR2 system memory but can support any memory on the graphics card. BTW the DDR5 version of this card is much better.
2 NA
3 you should be OK with that GPU on the PSU you have now.

so I take it that the DDR5 version will be compatible with my motherboard as well and I'd have no issues with the ports?
and also would this upgrade be noticeably better compared to the graphics card I have now?

thanks so much for your input!
!