Sign in with
Your question

Far cry 3 limitations

Last response: in CPUs
January 16, 2013 6:39:08 AM

hi guys could someone advise me? i can play bf3 on ultra 50-60 fps on my 50" plasma in the living room no problem but can only play farcry3 on high if i turn it up its unplayable my current specs are phenomx6 1035t gtx670 8gigs of ram and a vertex 4 ssd bootdrive not sure of my motherboard iam a novice but think maybe my cpu is holding me back would a fx6300 make a good upgrade? and sort my farcry3 problems?

More about : cry limitations

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 7:02:26 AM

big daddy g said:
hi guys could someone advise me? i can play bf3 on ultra 50-60 fps on my 50" plasma in the living room no problem but can only play farcry3 on high if i turn it up its unplayable my current specs are phenomx6 1035t gtx670 8gigs of ram and a vertex 4 ssd bootdrive not sure of my motherboard iam a novice but think maybe my cpu is holding me back would a fx6300 make a good upgrade? and sort my farcry3 problems?

NO, a FX-6300 would not be an upgrade.

FC3 benefits greatly from some tweaking that does not affect the IQ level; esp. the MSAA level, turn it down to 4x if you have it @ 8x; as a start.

it took me a good 15 - 20 minutes playing around with HDAO, SSAO and HBAO. the alpha coverage, shadows (with the AO settings of SSOA, HDAO and HBAO), and post FX along with the water settings. - most other settings didn't seem to impact the performance.

really FC3 isn't a "crank it up to ultra" unless you have a SLI/Xfire set up.
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 7:09:51 AM

IT would be a downgrade of CPU. Overclock that gtx 670 put msaa on off and put hbao on and you can use ultra.
Related resources
January 16, 2013 8:05:38 AM

Anonymous said:
NO, a FX-6300 would not be an upgrade.

FC3 benefits greatly from some tweaking that does not affect the IQ level; esp. the MSAA level, turn it down to 4x if you have it @ 8x; as a start.

it took me a good 15 - 20 minutes playing around with HDAO, SSAO and HBAO. the alpha coverage, shadows (with the AO settings of SSOA, HDAO and HBAO), and post FX along with the water settings. - most other settings didn't seem to impact the performance.

really FC3 isn't a "crank it up to ultra" unless you have a SLI/Xfire set up.

thanks will give it ago
January 16, 2013 8:09:01 AM

darth pravus said:
IT would be a downgrade of CPU. Overclock that gtx 670 put msaa on off and put hbao on and you can use ultra.

thanks what would be a good amd cpu? was thinking of going for a cheap intel board and a i7 2600 but if i can get away with just changing my amd cpu would rather do that
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 8:13:51 AM

You could also add Sweet FX instead of regular AA methods. Its quite effective and performance drops are not that significant.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 8:17:43 AM

big daddy g said:
thanks what would be a good amd cpu? was thinking of going for a cheap intel board and a i7 2600 but if i can get away with just changing my amd cpu would rather do that

if i may:

any FX cpu would be a sidegrade than an upgrade; an FX-830 would barely perform better than your PIIx6. really that cpu is still good esp. if you overclock it. steamroller may continue to make a bit of an imporvement such as piledriver did to steamroller. but if you don't want to wait a ~year; think its 2014 when that released, then a i5-3570K with a decent Z77 motherboard and heatsink to overclock would be the most economical upgrade for gaming.
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 8:21:07 AM

Overclock the CPU or wait as looniam said.

Don't bother with an i7 get an i5 and overclock it as thats the best gaming CPU available.
January 16, 2013 9:16:35 AM

darth pravus said:
Overclock the CPU or wait as looniam said.

Don't bother with an i7 get an i5 and overclock it as thats the best gaming CPU available.

i5 it is then thanks guys
January 16, 2013 9:19:08 AM

Anonymous said:
if i may:

any FX cpu would be a sidegrade than an upgrade; an FX-830 would barely perform better than your PIIx6. really that cpu is still good esp. if you overclock it. steamroller may continue to make a bit of an imporvement such as piledriver did to steamroller. but if you don't want to wait a ~year; think its 2014 when that released, then a i5-3570K with a decent Z77 motherboard and heatsink to overclock would be the most economical upgrade for gaming.

thanks for the reply gonna go with the i5
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 9:20:38 AM

or if you wanna stay with the AMD route then go with a FX-8350
!