Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Multiple Monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 14, 2012 4:39:20 PM

Hi,

I would like to have 3 monitors working together, and have 3 open slots on the back of my computer. (2/5 are in use)

AMD Raedon:

DVI- On the AMD Raedon HD 6450, can't be used, this video card can only do two

HDMI- In use, on AMD Raedon HD 6450

VGA- In use, on AMD Raedon HD 6450

Intergrated:

VGA (secondone)- On motherboard, not working unless Raedon card is removed/disabled.

HDMI (secondone)- On motherboard, not working unless Raedon card is removed/disabled.

I there a way to enable both the Motherboard Intergrated Video Chip and the AMD Raedon HD 6450 to work together/at the same time?

There is a setting in the Bios that enables use of intergrated and Raedon at the same time, but it dosen't seem to be working...

Thanks for any help you can give!

-Sam

(System Specs below)

System Specs (From me :D ):
i7 2600 Processor
Dell 0Y2MRG Motherboard
12GB DDR3 Ram
AMD Raedon HD 6450 Graphics

More about : multiple monitors

a c 103 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 6:29:53 PM

no you cannot use both the integrated video of your 2600 cpu and your dedicated video card.....if you wanted a gpu that can run 3 monitors at once and only take up one slot in the back of your pc then this is a good option

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I just built a system with this card and it works perfectly to run three HD displays.

you said you had 2 slots in use right now....does your 6450 take up two slots or is there something else taking up the second slot?

also what psu do you have? the 6670 I suggested doesnt consume alot of power so anything above 350 watts would be more than enough
Score
a c 76 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 6:42:43 PM

um... yes you can use the integrated and a dedicated gpus at the same time... It's a standard feature. Unless Dell intentional disabled it which is unlikely since he has the option.

See the 6th post here for instructions.
www.tomshardware.com/forum/322116-33-dell-vostro-monito...

or try updating the bios or finding the motherboard manual
Score
Related resources
a c 103 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 7:05:16 PM

since when can you use both the integrated gpu and the discrete cards? there is this thing called lucid virtu that allows you to set certain tasks to your iGPU like video encoding but then you still hook your displays up to your dedicated gpu...as far as I know you cannot hook up monitors to your iGPU ports and your dedicated GPU ports and have them all work....can someone provide evidence either way? I google searched but didnt come up with anything that said you could use both
Score
a c 76 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 7:19:21 PM

drums101 said:
since when can you use both the integrated gpu and the discrete cards? there is this thing called lucid virtu that allows you to set certain tasks to your iGPU like video encoding but then you still hook your displays up to your dedicated gpu...

You've been able to do thus for all CPU built in graphics chips and some motherboard based ones for years. Is very common. Windows 7 has always supported multiple gpus.

Lucid virtu is gpu switching so you use the lower powered integrated graphics when in light workloads. basically 2D. It's not about encoding, when switched the dedicated card is turned off and the integrated drives the displays. And you must have your monitors hooked up to the MOTHERBOARD to use it because the dedicated cards output is routed through the motherboard connectors when it's enabled.

I provided a link on how to enable it for that board but I suppose you couldn't be bothered to read it before asking for a link? Lol. Or Google. Had to correct this misinformation every one puts out on this several times on Toms and.helped many people enable it.

AMD calls it Surroundview
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Hybrid_Graphics#Surrou...

Intel calls it hybrid multi monitor
www.embeddedintel.com/technology_applications.php?artic...

In either case you just enable the built in along with the dedicated in the bios. I don't know why this isn't common knowledge it has to be in about every Intel motherboard manual
Score
a c 103 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 7:26:52 PM

yea windows 7 supports multiple discrete gpus...but I am still positive that you cannot at a hardware level use both the IGPU and the dedicated graphics cards together to run some displays off of the iGPU and some off of the discrete card....can someone come up with an article or something showing that you can use both a 2 monitor gpu and the iGPU to hook up three monitors.
Score
a c 76 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 7:36:23 PM

drums101 said:
yea windows 7 supports multiple discrete gpus...but I am still positive that you cannot at a hardware level use both the IGPU and the dedicated graphics cards together to run some displays off of the iGPU and some off of the discrete card....can someone come up with an article or something showing that you can use both a 2 monitor gpu and the iGPU to hook up three monitors.

And I'm still positive your wrong as I provided a link to how to enable it in the original response and have helped a half dozen people do it here. Read the links above. There's no reason you wouldn't be able to use them both. It's no different than using 2 dedicated gpus
Score
a c 76 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 7:40:11 PM

Or feel free to read Toms for numerous correct answers on the subject

www.tomshardware.com/forum/306505-33-enable-onboard-gra...
According to the ASRock 880GM-LE motherboard manual the IGP is also enabled along with the discrete graphics card when using the Surround Display feature.

Although I do see this in the manual "If you do not adjust the BIOS setup, the default value of “Share Memory”, [Auto], will disable VGA/D-Sub function when the add-on VGA card is inserted to this motherboard."
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 7:40:25 PM

Posting so I can follow this thread. This is very intersting.
Does this mean that I and others have been misinforming people that you need a 2nd nvidia gpu (upto gtx670 that is) or an eyefinity capable card to run more than 2 monitors? This would mean that many have needlessly bought a 2nd gpu or spent more money than is necessarly for their multi monitor setups.

Score
a c 103 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 7:45:31 PM

a little black duck said:
Does this mean that I and others have been misinforming people that you need a 2nd nvidia gpu (upto gtx670 that is) or an eyefinity capable card to run more than 2 monitors? This would mean that many have needlessly bought a 2nd gpu or spent more money than is necessarly for their multi monitor setups.

This is what I am saying I have never heard anything like that working everyone always says you need either a gtx 670, 680 or eyefinity amd card to run 3 monitors at once.

also unksol we are talking about intel hd graphics (2000, 2500, 3000, 4000) and a discrete gpu.......not amd (the A series cpus or whatever) integrated graphics or some other onboard graphics that are built into the motherboard

I know with the new APU amd processors you can use the integrated gpu on the cpu in conjunction with amd graphics cards
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 7:53:21 PM

drums101 said:
This is what I am saying I have never heard anything like that working everyone always says you need either a gtx 670, 680 or eyefinity amd card to run 3 monitors at once.

also unksol we are talking about intel hd graphics (2000, 2500, 3000, 4000) and a discrete gpu.......not amd (the A series cpus or whatever) integrated graphics or some other onboard graphics that are built into the motherboard

I know with the new APU amd processors you can use the integrated gpu on the cpu in conjunction with amd graphics cards

This is how I understood it as well.
Score
a c 103 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 7:57:01 PM

actually I take that back intel hd 4000 does allow you to do three monitors by itself but two of them must be hooked up via displayport (but i dont think there are motherboards out there that even have that) and it still doesnt allow a discrete gpu to work in tandem with the intel hd 4000
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 8:02:50 PM

drums101 said:

You should be able to have an expanded desktop using the IGP and discrete so long as you are running XP or W7, not Vista.
Gaming is a different story though and for that to be done over three screens with one card would require an AMD Eyefinity capable card or a 6xx series Nvidia card.
Score
a c 103 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 8:07:23 PM

Mousemonkey said:
You should be able to have an expanded desktop using the IGP and discrete so long as you are running XP or W7, not Vista.
Gaming is a different story though and for that to be done over three screens with one card would require an AMD Eyefinity capable card or a 6xx series Nvidia card.

Seriously? Since when? lol I guess I could see for myself, I just built a box with a core i5 3570k and a z77 board....next time I go work on that box I will check it out. I was looking to run 3 monitors off of that pc so I got an eyefinity card to do so. hmmmm...maybe I wasted that persons money I could have bought a much cheaper video card if that was the case.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 8:25:06 PM

drums101 said:
Seriously? Since when? lol I guess I could see for myself, I just built a box with a core i5 3570k and a z77 board....next time I go work on that box I will check it out. I was looking to run 3 monitors off of that pc so I got an eyefinity card to do so. hmmmm...maybe I wasted that persons money I could have bought a much cheaper video card if that was the case.

From what I've read it should have been possible since the days of XP and graphic cards with more than one output when used in conjunction with a motherboard that has an IGP.
Score
a c 103 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 8:28:27 PM

so to get this to work you would need to set the igpu to primary or the dedicated card? most mobos if you set the dedicated card to primary then the igpu gets turned off....if you do set the igpu to primary how would this work when gaming how would the pc know to switch over to the dedicated card to play the game?
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 8:30:45 PM

drums101 said:
so to get this to work you would need to set the igpu to primary or the dedicated card? most mobos if you set the dedicated card to primary then the igpu gets turned off....if you do set the igpu to primary how would this work when gaming how would the pc know to switch over to the dedicated card to play the game?

I haven't tried it myself so I don't know the full ins and out but from what I've read it shouldn't be too hard to work out.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 8:30:59 PM

Thanks Mousemonkey, I think I got it, but just to confirm.
If I had, for example, a gtx550ti. I can run 2 monitors through that and connect a 3rd monitor to the mobos' monitor port and run 3 monitors in extended format (provided OS and mobo requirements are met). I just can't run all 3 as one large screen. Yes?
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 8:34:25 PM

Thanks Mousemonkey, I think I got it, but just to confirm.
If I had, for example, a gtx550ti. I can run 2 monitors through that and connect a 3rd monitor to the mobos' monitor port and run 3 monitors in extended format (provided OS and mobo requirements are met). I just can't run all 3 as one large screen. Yes?

You might be able to run them all as one extended desktop but I can't confirm that, but yes you should be able to run two monitors from the 550 and one from the IGP.
Score
a c 103 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 8:34:31 PM

I am gonna check I have a couple of systems out there that have intel hd graphics and a dedicated card......tomorrow I am gonna go mess with one and figure out if this works or not. and black duck that appears to be the case but idk if its gonna work or not.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 8:39:58 PM

Thanks drums101 and Mousemonkey. I appreciate the info. I hate misinformation and hate to think I've been telling people the wrong thing.
@Samhuang1999. Sorry for the hijacking of your thread, but we had to clear this up.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 8:45:47 PM

Thanks drums101 and Mousemonkey. I appreciate the info. I hate misinformation and hate to think I've been telling people the wrong thing.
@Samhuang1999. Sorry for the hijacking of your thread, but we had to clear this up.

It's not really been a hijack as it has all been on the subject the OP was asking about and if they return we might find out if it was useful to them or not.
Score
July 14, 2012 9:04:51 PM

So um...

This is quite confusing and all these posts and edits to my original post make it more...

So is it possible or no?

If so how can I make it happen?

Thanks,

Sam
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 9:47:56 PM

samhuang1999 said:
So um...

This is quite confusing and all these posts and edits to my original post make it more...

So is it possible or no?

Thanks,

Sam

The CPUz info was edited out because it was totally pointless, was of no use whatsoever and took three days to scroll through. :pfff: 
Score
July 14, 2012 9:54:06 PM

samhuang1999 said:
So um...

So is it possible or no?

Thanks,

Sam

You need to go to your board vendor or the pc supplier site, and see if they provide you with LucidLogix Virtu program. Then you need to go in your bios and enable it. There you can choose from two mode i-mode or d-mode.

i-Mode
To use LucidLogix Virtu MVP in i-Mode, the display must be connected to the onboard video output.
d-Mode
To use LucidLogix Virtu MVP in d-Mode, the display must be connected to the installed graphics card.

Well at-least that's how i setup mine. I am using Asus Vgene board with XFX 7870 double Ghz GPU.
EDIT:
Also after you done that, you go back in LucidLogix program and configure it.
Good luck.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 10:04:25 PM

devils_advocate said:
You need to go to your board vendor or the pc supplier site, and see if they provide you with LucidLogix Virtu program. Then you need to go in your bios and enable it. There you can choose from two mode i-mode or d-mode.

i-Mode
To use LucidLogix Virtu MVP in i-Mode, the display must be connected to the onboard video output.
d-Mode
To use LucidLogix Virtu MVP in d-Mode, the display must be connected to the installed graphics card.

Well at-least that's how i setup mine. I am using Asus Vgene board with XFX 7870 double Ghz GPU.
EDIT:
Also after you done that, you go back in LucidLogix program and configure it.
Good luck.

And if the OP's motherboard does not have a Lucid chip, what then?
Score
July 14, 2012 10:17:39 PM

Unfortunately i dont think its possible other wise. That chip is needed to send distinctive instruction for display. IMO.

Also there's another thing that's confusing me, according to AMD, HD 6450 support eyefinity. And yet by the looks of the card with DVI, VGA and HDMI. The card physically can only run two input at a time. Unless a display port is available on card...

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-rad...
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 10:24:37 PM

devils_advocate said:
Unfortunately i dont think its possible other wise. That chip is needed to send distinctive instruction for display. IMO.

Also there's another thing that's confusing me, according to AMD, HD 6450 support eyefinity. And yet by the looks of the card with DVI, VGA and HDMI. The card physically can only run two input at a time. Unless a display port is available on card...

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-rad...

If the OP has no Lucid chip then your previous post becomes kind of pointless really doesn't it? And as for the Eyefinity support, it's up to the AIB to provide the DP that is required as the GPU supports it natively.
Score
July 14, 2012 10:54:27 PM

Mousemonkey said:
If the OP has no Lucid chip then your previous post becomes kind of pointless really doesn't it?

Hence, me directing him to see his vendor/retailer site for it. If its not, then they will not provide it. Since i don't know if his board has that chip or not. Since i dont know dell MB... Also he stated he has i7 as cpu, so logically it make sense to assume that the board might have that chip. He also stated there is an option in his bios... Again going back to what i said, check his vendor/retailer site.

Mousemonkey said:
And as for the Eyefinity support, it's up to the AIB to provide the DP that is required as the GPU supports it natively.

That's the thing, no 6450 that the OP has, to my knowledge ever made with Display port.... Off course i might have miss some if they did...
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 10:58:07 PM

devils_advocate said:
Hence, me directing him to see his vendor/retailer site for it. If its not, then they will not provide it. Also i don't know if his board has that chip or not. Since i dont know dell MB... Also he stated he has i7 as cpu, so logically it make sense to assume that the board might have that chip. Again going back to what i said, check his vendor/retailer site.

That's the thing, no 6450 that the OP has, to my knowledge ever made with Display port.... Off course i might have miss some if they did...

I have an i7 CPU and my motherboard doesn't have a Lucid chip so there is no logical reason to assume that the OP's does as far as I can see. :heink: 
Score
July 14, 2012 11:06:21 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I have an i7 CPU and my motherboard doesn't have a Lucid chip so there is no logical reason to assume that the OP's does as far as I can see. :heink: 

LOL... But that's the point of assumption, i dont know if his board does or does not support. You know that your board dont have it, as a fact. But the op might not know that. Unless he said it in some of his post, which i missed. Based on that i simply ask him to check to be sure about it like you are about your MB...
Score
a c 103 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 18, 2012 5:25:52 AM

update:

So I checked out a pc that I built that had both a dedicated card and intel HD graphics...I am totally wrong....you just have to have both the dedicated card and the iGPU enabled in the BIOS....depending on the bios you can set your primary device as the PCIE card and still have the iGPU enabled or have it set to dual iGPU+PEG.....works perfectly and to answer my own question about gaming....you just have to game on the display that is attached to the dedicated card....if you try to game on the display that is attached to the intel HD graphics it will use the HD graphics instead of your dedicated gaming card (kinda obvious but had to check)...I am definitely wrong thanks guys for helping me learn something
Score
July 18, 2012 3:10:36 PM

drums101 said:
update:

So I checked out a pc that I built that had both a dedicated card and intel HD graphics...I am totally wrong....you just have to have both the dedicated card and the iGPU enabled in the BIOS....depending on the bios you can set your primary device as the PCIE card and still have the iGPU enabled or have it set to dual iGPU+PEG.....works perfectly and to answer my own question about gaming....you just have to game on the display that is attached to the dedicated card....if you try to game on the display that is attached to the intel HD graphics it will use the HD graphics instead of your dedicated gaming card (kinda obvious but had to check)...I am definitely wrong thanks guys for helping me learn something

I also believe on systems using both the integrated and dedicated graphics cards, you get an option on which card to use when right clicking on the game/application.

^I can get you screen shots, but it's in Chinese... 0.0 :pt1cable: 
Score
November 23, 2012 5:06:50 PM

Ok, I just registered because I really wanted to thank you guys for this forum/thread.

I've got a bog-standard HP desktop with Windows 7.

I wanted to run three monitors (no gaming, just work related stuff) so I bought a ATI Radeon 5400 graphics card but after installing it I realised it wouldn't run all three monitors, I had bought the graphics card WITHOUT Display Port. It had three ports, DVI VGA and HDMI but no Display Port.

I then had two monitors plugged in the Radeon and the other plugged into the on-board VGA but could not get a signal on the VGA so I thought I'd need yet another new graphics card to run the third monitor.

I was actually looking online for a suitable second graphics card when I thought I'd have one last-ditch attempt at seeing if I could get the on-board to run at the same time as the Radeon (I had tried searching for this before but found a forum that said it was not possible) and I found this thread.

I booted into the BIOS and found only 3 options for video; PCI, PCIE, ON-BOARD so I switched it to ON-BOARD, rebooted and got all three working! A quick re-jig of the display positions in the AMD Vision control center later I'm good to go!

So thanks guys, very much appreciated!!!
Score
!