Only need a CPU, all other parts have been Ordered.

logan832

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Yes, I have been posting frequently. This is just my first build, and I really would like to get it right the first time. Basically I am making a $900 pc, hoping that it will last me 2-3 years for gaming (even if I end up playing them with 20-30fps on medium no-AA), and several more after that for casual tasks. As of right now, Guild Wars 2 and Battlefield 3 are the only games I will be playing for awhile.

Here is something I wanted to stress. I don't plan on OC'ing until at least a year. I want to take it easy on the CPU, and when I do OC it will probably only be .5-.7 ghz. So ideally, I would like a CPU that will stay fairly cool running games with the stock fan for awhile. Despite the hundred 3570k vs 2500k threads I have looked into, I cannot find a solid answer.

3570k: Newer tech, Would be compatable with the mobo I ordered, Lower wattage which would probably end up saving me $8-10 a year, Runs BF3 better?, Higher stock speed than the 2500k. I have read that this runs sorta hot (although I read that the max stable temperature is 10 degrees higher). If my GPU ever failed for whatever reason, the Intel HD4000 integrated graphics could run my games on medium until I found a replacement.

2500k: Proven- nothing but praise from the majority of 2500k owners. $10 cheaper.

I could see myself investing in a nice $250+ GPU in ~2 years, and upgrading to water-cooling. Definitely will buy a nice SSD when the prices lower a bit.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ghTi
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ghTi/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ghTi/benchmarks/

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($164.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: OCZ 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.25 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($149.98 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($8.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $653.65
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-01 21:45 EDT-0400)

obsama1

Distinguished
It uses 77w vs 95w. The amount you save on your bill is negligible. In BF3, a Phenom is good as an i7. BF3 is GPU limited, not CPU limited. The higher stock speed doesn't mean much when both are unlocked and can overclock. Overclocking either the 2500K or 3570K with the stock cooler will result in high temps. At stock speeds, the stock cooler is good. I suggest to abstain from OC'ing until you can get a CPU cooler. A lot of people will tell you the 2500K is better for OC'ing. Not true. A 3570K at 4.2 is equal to a 2500K at 4.4/4.5. It's $10 more. A no-brainer, IMO. The 3570K is the winner.

strife_ff7

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
I'd go with the i5 3570k and thats coming from a i5 2500k owner. Here are some good points that why_me made about this subject.

The IB cpu's tend to get hot once you start adding any significant voltage to them. But you can easily oc an IB cpu to 4.2Ghz without having to add any voltage to it. When an IB cpu is oc to 4.2Ghz it's comparable to the SB running @ 4.4 - 4.5Ghz. That and you don't see a significant amount of gain in FPS when over clocking any of these 1155 cpu's. With IB you get native 3.0 USB, native 1600hz memory support, etc... hence the reason we recommend the newer IB cpu's on here and not the older SB cpu's.

3570k.

+Faster stock speed.
+Each clock is worth more performance compared to Sandy.
+Lower power consumption.
+At stock speeds can be undervolted (not sure about 2500k).
+PCI-3
+HD4000

-$10 more
-Kicks up higher temps when adding a lot of voltage compared to Sandy.

Its a no brainier in my opinion. Only reason I can see for Sandy is if you want the highest clock speed, not necessarily performance (bragging rights essentially, 4.9Ghz sounds more impressive than 4.5Ghz, regardless of which actually performs better).

larkspur

Distinguished

For maximum longevity of your CPU you shouldn't bother at all with the stock cooler. A better heatsink will keep your CPU at a lower temperature even at stock clocks and do so more quietly. Especially since you want longevity yet will OC someday - get a decent cooler now - a $30 one will do great and then you won't have to worry about installing a backplate when you OC down the road.