First build - Are all these parts compatible ?

Mattbean7592

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Hello

I am planning on building my own computer for the first time and I wanted to make sure that all these parts are actually compatible with each other and that the PSU will be enough. I've done a fair amount of research and am fairly sure there isn't a problem. I am not looking for opinions on how good or bad certain parts are I am just really interested in computers and wanted to build my own. How powerful the computer will be isn't really an issue I just want to put a computer together myself.

Thanks

Case: EZCool A200D Basic Case
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250
Motherboard: ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX
RAM: Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec VP350P 350W
GPU: 1GB Radeon HD 5450
Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB SATAIII

malbluff

Honorable
I know you say you are not interested in perfomance, but would just say, it won't be amazing. That said, as to compability. That motherboard does not support SATA 3, only SATA 2. You don't specify exactly which RAM you are proposing. If you've not already done so, check it against the supported memory list for the motherboard (on ASRock site). Not being on the list, doesn't mean it won't work, but, if you are not experienced, picking one ON the list, ensures that it WILL work reliably.

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

That computer looks like 6 years old already.

Mattbean7592

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Ok thanks I will do what you suggested regarding the RAM, but everything else is fine?

Mattbean7592

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

I already have a fairly powerful machine which is why I said the power of this computer will not be an issue.

malbluff

Honorable
Forgot PSU point. Just about adequate. Something like a 430W would probably be better as wouldn't be working as hard. Cheaper PSUs don't like running near max, for long periods.

Mattbean7592

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

I was originally going to go with a 480W CiT but they had mixed reviews and it seemed like Antec were well regarded so I went with that. But I dont see this computer getting much use at all so I guess I can just go with the cheaper CiT?

Mattbean7592

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Would you be able to post me a link to a HDD that is supported?
I really have no clue what SATA2 or SATA3 actaully mean.
Doesn't need to be more than 250gb

Thanks for the help

malbluff

Honorable
The trouble with those, in fact any "cheap" power supply, is they are prone to fail, and destroy a lot of other components with them. As you are using cheap kit anyway, more for build experience, maybe not so much of an issue, as with expensive kit, in a high performance build.

malbluff

Honorable

You didn't give a location, or preferred website for components. Western Digital 250GB Blue SATA ll, is quite a good one, if you only want 250GB. It may be worth looking at slightly larger storage, as often only slightly more expensive.

Mattbean7592

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Great, thanks for all your help its much appreciated.