Thoughts on AMD FX-8350????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnk

Distinguished
the fx 8350 is good chip for its price its showing its colour in newer games such as farcry 3,medal of honor warfighter etc etc.its on par with i5s and in some newer games just 1-5 fps behind fx 8350.

pros:-
1)great multitasker
2)higher frequency
3)8 cores(but no use of that much but will be better for fututre)
4)great performance in multi threaded apps in some toughes i7 3770k levels

cons:-
1)higher powerconsumption
2)single threaded performance

Yeah it's a little faster than i5 on highly-threaded non-gaming stuff, a little slower in games and significantly higher power consumption. I used to always disregard the third point, but I did the math on it and I'd actually be saving £30-40 a year in electricity costs for the power difference, so it really does add up.

You can see here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/far-cry-3-performance-benchmark,review-32584-7.html

FX8350 delivering almost identical performance to the i3. But keep in mind that the top three CPUs have clearly eliminated CPU bottleneck (which has moved entirely to the GPU) while the FX8350 begins to reduce performance (even if just by a tiny bit). So the FX8350 is doing fine here, but may be limiting performance (albeit barely limiting it at all). If a 20% faster graphics card was used here, you'd see a performance increase as a result on the top 3 models, but not on the FX8350.

So moving forward, the FX8350 may end up bottlenecking next-gen graphics hardware more. On the other side of the argument, as people have pointed out, next-gen games are also likely to make better use of many cores in cases where games are both CPU-intensive and highly-threaded.

So CPU-intensive and highly-threaded - FX8350.
CPU-intensive and poorly-threaded - i5.
GPU-intensive - i5 (but keeping in mind that the FX8350 is only constraining performance very slightly in FC3)

sunnk

Distinguished
well many peoples are using a hd 7990,hd 7970 ghz and gtx 680 and gtx 690 with fx 8350 they are not getting any bottleneck.

i dont believe in that benchmark honestly the fx 8350 is on par with i5s in many other sites and in toms its performing less then i3 wtf?my friends fx 4100 performs the same as i3 2100 in farcry 3 my fx 6100 beats both.

Well I wouldn't recommend i7 unless you've got some non-gaming stuff that's really important to you. i5 is the best way to go with Intel. FX8350 is between i5 and i7 for non-gaming stuff and a bit below i3 and i5 in CPU-intensive games. Have a browse through the CPU section in the forums and take a look at people's experiences with the FX8350.

I saw a lot of stuff a month or two back (I haven't really bothered with this forum section in a couple of months) about stuttering/stop-start performance in games with FX8350, but that might have been resolved now (it might not even have been the CPU's fault). People were saying something about poor resource contention and SMT on the FX8350, but not sure what they're talking about, it's a bit over my head!

Because the top three have clearly eliminated CPU bottleneck so performance is being determined entirely by the GPU. It obviously doesn't mean the top three have exactly the same capabilities. Do you understand bottlenecking?

sunnk

Distinguished

i dont think so its below i3 in cpu intensive games :heink: . my fx 6100 beats i3 in games its true in real world performance my fx 6100 is far better i m not a fanboy but telling the truth.mostly i dont believe in benchmark if u r upgrading any u should ask a person who has used it i m pretty happy with my fx chip and the fx 8350 will be about 35 - 40% better then mine in overall performance.i m sure that fx 8350 will perform same as i5 in games and very well in apps.

My experiences with AMD is that taken against its prior line up the FX 8350 is a massive step forward over the FX 8150 and 1100T, it comprehensively beats its predecessor flagships to sit at the top of any high end AMD setup. It is fitting to compair the new flagship to its predecessors so as to come to the conclusion that Vishera is a step in the right direction.

PROS:

Improved single and multithreaded performance, general computing performance improvement over prior flagships.

Impressive memory overclocking HTT scale well up to 2600Mhz and beyond with almost no voltage needed, AIDA 64 hit 20GB/s rates which is about on par with Intel i7 920-950 on the old 1366 which is a massive IMC improvement.

FX 8350 achieves a base clock bump of 400mhz over the 8150 while lowering peak power consumption by around 60-70w over the old Zambezi flagship, that is higher clocks at lower power all on the exact same process.

Gaming performance around or on par with a i5, Computing and highly threaded performance that is similar to a i7. Overall performance is about on par with a i7 950.

10-20% faster than the 8150 and 1100T across the board.

CONS:

About 2 Generations behind Intel.

sunnk

Distinguished

yeah i know the term "bottleck" but i think u dont know what is performance and i dont think u have ever owned any fx line cpus thats why u think fx 8350 will start bottlecking other generations gpus.i love the way noobs say go for intel .

+1 to sarinaide on the improvements - if we see this much progress again with Steamroller (and no progress from Haswell and Broadwell) then Intel will have some serious competition on their hands. And it is indeed like Lego :)

As for sunnk's experiences and mistrust of benchmarks, I think it's good to learn from experiences, though maybe not when it comes to quantified results. Learn about things like reliability, the difference 120Hz refresh rate makes (or doesn't make), the visual fidelity of FXAA etc from people's experiences (or maybe screenshots for that last one). For performance numbers, people's experiences are A far too subjective and B not guaranteed to be unbiased.

EDIT: And give the "noob" and "fanboy" comments a rest. You're simply making yourself appear childish and immature.

Status
Not open for further replies.