Consistent buzzing noise on all audio ports - EMI?

aerothorn

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Hey all -

So after a long and arduous build, I've finally completed a PC that seems to be working hunky-dory with one exception.

I installed my Auzentech Forte card that I got a few years ago and wasn't able to use in the last build. It's a fantastic soundcard, but the original run had some sensitivity to EMI that would create buzzing noises; wrapping the bracket in electrical tape generally fixed it, and had on the last build before I took the card out. Here, it was back with a vengeance.

I figured it was an issue with the card, and while waiting on Auzentech support switched to the mobo's built-in audio...only to find the exact same phenomenon. The plugs are located on opposite ends of the case and there's even completely different drivers. The headphones in question worked fine on the previous computer, so it's definitely a system issue.

I'm assuming there's just a ton of EMI, but I'm not sure what would be causing it - I got a fairly nice PSU (Rosewill Capstone 550M). Are there any standard processes for tracking this down or otherwise resolving an issue like this? I would like to have decent sound on my PC :)

It's worth noting that it's fairly mild while the system is idle, and becomes quite loud when under load, which is why I'm thinking EMI.

aerothorn

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
All drivers are installed.

Not sure what you mean by "mic to onboard," but I've tried using both the discrete sound card and front panel connected to mobo (not sound card).

Strangely, I've just discovering that connecting to the rear I/O panel generates no interference.

aerothorn

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
I've tried re installing drives for both soundcard and onboard, but neither seems to do anything, nor does changing settings in the sound card application. Not even sure who I'd contact for support on this - could be the mobo, could be the power supply generating EMI. Not sure.

Also the rear I/O is now making noise too :(

aerothorn

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Both! That's the problem. If it was just one set of ports I'd figure it was an issue with that setup, but the problem is very active both on the discrete PCI-Express card (in the back) and on the front I/O panel (connected to the mobo, not the card). The problem is less present on the rear I/O panel, but still noticeable as a background noise.

In other words, I think it's safe to say it's not the ports themselves; something is flooding the entire system with interference. The only thing I can think of is that the power supply is somehow not properly shielded, since this PC is in the exact same location as my last PC, which has no such problems, so it's not environmental.