First Time Building Gaming PC, Please help!

Hey,

I'm sure the answer is in the forums somewhere, but I'm getting confused trying to sort through it all.
I'm looking to build a half decent gaming system that will last me a few years.

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as I figure out what I need!

Budget Range: $800-$900

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (WoW, Diablo, Sims 3, Tera, Dragon Age 2, etc.), Internet, Watching movies/tv

Are you buying a monitor: Not yet

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Whatever is best.

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, otherwise i'm not picky

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Don't think so?

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 (not widescreen). I know I'll need a new one eventually when I have the money.

Additional Comments: As much HD space as I can afford. I'd like to be able to upgrade as I get more money. So space for more HDs, more RAM etc would be good (ie 4 ram slots). I have keyboard/mouse/speakers/monitor/printer etc, so I only need the tower. Can live without a new DVD drive for now too.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Both my computers are about 5 years old and can't play half my games anymore.

Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about first time building gaming help
  1. I feel it's worthwhile to point out that with just WoW and GW2 as your target games, any system in your price range is going to be serious overkill.

I mean, if you planned to play Crysis 3, Metro 2033 and Last Light, and other hardware intensive games that budget makes sense, but if all you're playing is MMO's you'd be better off with a <=$1000 build.

For instance, this $830 build would work fine, and for a little bit more ($900) the motherboard can be upgraded.

Case: NZXT Source 210 / Gamma Classic - $40

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V - $70

CPU: Intel i5 3450 3.1 Ghz - $190

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212+ - $26

RAM: Kingston 8GB 1600 Mhz - $40

GPU: Asus GTX 560 TI - $240

PSU: Corsair CX V2 500 - $44

HDD: WD 500GB 7200 RPM - $68

DVD: Samsung 22x DVD drive - $20.30

EDIT: I should point out as well that the above build can play all modern games at high to medium settings as well let alone MMO's.
  2. Thanks! It's mainly the GPU that I'm unsure about. There is so so much information and so many conflicting opions out there.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product