New Extreme build won't install windows

bill_cai1992

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hi there

I am in a big puddle of trouble here and I seek help, I have recently built my 1st PC tower and all hardware checks out fine, but windows 8 and 7 all freezed on the logo screen where the circle is spining, I had friends over to look at it and they couldnt tell what was the problem.

My Specs are:
Case: Xigmatek Elysim
Motherboard: Asrock X79 Extream 9
Ram: G Skill Trident X 32Gb (8Gb x 4) @ 2400mhz
Processor: Intel i7 3960x Extreme
Cooling: Corsair i100 watercooling unit
GPU: Club 3D 7970 RoyalQueen
PSU: XFX Limted Pro Platinum 1000W
SSD: Crucial V4 256GB
HDD: Seagate 3TB
DVD: LG DVD drive

Once again, all hardware checks out fine but both versions of windows won't install and all freezes on the logo screen.

I have tried both USB and DVD boot and it's the same result.

can someone who experienced the same problem help me please, thanks you so much.

bill_cai1992

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

well i can see that your are an expert here, rather than saying all these stuff i dont need it would be very nice of you to help me on this situation, ive looked everywhere and nothing helps so far, havent had a good night sleep for a week now because of this

suddenstop

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Could be lots of issues and many times some kind of conflict.

Here are steps i would try --

1) run memtest off a boot disk - see if its an isolated ram timing issue.

2) Underclock everything - drop RAM to 1333 in bios, cpu as well drop multiplier. See if that works.

3) Remove stuff - first in bios disable serial ports / firewire - anything you are not using. Switch mouse as well.

4) mess with hardware. Remove all ram but one stick. remove all drives but the hdd and try installing to that. Then start swapping with spares - try different video card etc.

Follow the rules.

bill_cai1992

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Hi

I have droped everything to stock speed, disabled usb2, only have 1 ram installed, switched to hdd and ssd, but the logo screen still freezes and then the dvd drive stop reading. I cant run anything off the boot disk because i cant even get past the logo screen

After Brett pointed out that you broke forum rules, which youd know if you had taken the time to read em, you basically poopoo'd him for calling you out. If this was your first build you shoulda paid someone else to build it, after spending all that money and not having a clue what you are doing. And dont be a jerk cause someone called you out.

bill_cai1992

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

ok, i know i broke the rules, but if your in my shoes you will understand im just frustrated because i have tried for a week now, playing with the bios, checking every bit of hardware, im just trying to max out a lil so more people can see this post and help.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
OK you have multiple SATA Controllers on that Board. Make sure that your DVD Drive is plugged on to one of the Gray Ports (I assume that this is the Intel Controller). Make sure the Controller is set to AHCI. Put the drive you are trying to install to on the Intel Controller as well. If that works try placing the drive you want to install on the other controller. If it fails Windows is failing at a driver level on the controller. It is also possible the Marvell Controller only interfaces with SSD / HDD and not optical.

bill_cai1992

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Hi Wamphryi, i will go try that now, the dvd is currently connected to the black port, i will see and lot you know how to goes, thank you so much for your help

bill_cai1992

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

I have done everything you said, setting the boot to AHCI, connecting hard drive to Marvell connectors, dvd drive to x79 slot, but nothing changed and it still freezes at the splash screen (logo screen), the circle spins one round and freezes there.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Intel X79
2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Marvell SE9220
4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Marvell SE9172

Ok there are three Controllers. Ignore the X79 Intel. Put the DVD drive and your SSD on the SE9172 which has the four ports. If that doesn't work leave the DVD Drive on and put on the HDD drive and take the SSD off. I suspect the x79 and the SE9220 do not support optical drives. It will fire up the set up program but fail at install.

Each Controller will have its own settings. AHCI for the SE9172

Also you can try disabling the X79 and the SE9220 in the BIOS to eliminate them from the equation. It is easy to mix the settings up in BIOS and disable the wrong controller. Just watch out for that if suddenly no drives respond.

bill_cai1992

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Hi Wamphryi, thank you so much for looking into this for me, i have connected the ssd to the Marvell SE 9172 and the DVD, but it turnes out the DVD drive only reads when pluged to x79 sata sockets otherwise on boot it shows no bootable device, any idea what should i do now?

bill_cai1992

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

I have connected DVD and SSD to Marvell SE9172, went into bios and disabled SE9220, enabled boot from Marvell SE9172, DVD now is reading, but soon as the splash screen comes up, dvd drive stop to read and the screen froze again and the dvd just goes silent.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Also you can try setting the Controller to RAID. Put the SSD on the Intel Controller and set the Controller to RAID. It doesn't matter that you are not going to RAID the drives. Leave the DVD on the current controller. Dont forget to set the Intel Controller to active.

bill_cai1992

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Mate thank you so much, i got it to install, i left the ssd attached, took off the dvd cause it was pissin me off, and i put my usb connected to the usb 3 socket, turned off everything else: x79, marvel 9220 and usb 2, it managed to install and now im just waiting for it to boot.

Once again, thank you so much, you have no idea how worried I have been for the past week :)