Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I upgrade my rig?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 16, 2013 12:13:15 PM

Hi all, this is my first time on this forum so forgive me if I sound like a total noob.

Anyhoo, I am wondering if I should rebuild my current gaming rig as I am getting pretty bad performance from some games I play (mostly BF3) and everything seems really slow even if I am just trying to open a folder in windows. I know part of the problem is that I am still using Vista and it sometimes steal all of my ram so my justification is that since I am going to reinstall everything anyway, i might as well rebuild my rig.

my current rig:
AMD Phenom 9650 x 4 @ 2.3Ghz
4gb DDR2 800Mhz
AMD Radeon 6950

Suggestion?

More about : upgrade rig

a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 12:46:10 PM

Install windows 7 or 8
m
l
January 16, 2013 1:07:28 PM

or Vista with latest service pack.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 2:08:49 PM

mavx4 said:
Hi all, this is my first time on this forum so forgive me if I sound like a total noob.

Anyhoo, I am wondering if I should rebuild my current gaming rig as I am getting pretty bad performance from some games I play (mostly BF3) and everything seems really slow even if I am just trying to open a folder in windows. I know part of the problem is that I am still using Vista and it sometimes steal all of my ram so my justification is that since I am going to reinstall everything anyway, i might as well rebuild my rig.

my current rig:
AMD Phenom 9650 x 4 @ 2.3Ghz
4gb DDR2 800Mhz
AMD Radeon 6950

Suggestion?

-Definitely upgrade windows.
-Your RAM is ok for the moment being
-Overclock the CPU to at least 2.6 GHz
-The graphics card is above average so keep that!

Overall I would say you should be ok for another year if you do what I say, and your graphics card is fine for sure. However you may want to upgrade cpu/ram/motherboard soon. I would say wait to Intel's Haswell and/or AMD's steamroller CPU's come out this year and then make the switch.
January 16, 2013 2:34:57 PM

Yes, I would upgrade your PC. You should look into new MOBO, CPU and RAM.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 2:39:55 PM

^ Upgrade your CPU/Motherboard/RAM... What is your budget?
m
l
January 16, 2013 2:42:01 PM

I would agree, upgrade your mobo CPU and RAM.

While a format may cure the general slowness when browsing, it won't improve your gaming experience much.

I would keep your GPU, it should be great once you get a decent CPU in the machine.

Add in an SSD to your build if you have the budget :) 
m
l
January 16, 2013 11:27:40 PM

If I upgrade, I will probably go with i5 3570k with 16gb 1600mhz c9 (I do abit of photoshop and stuff btw). I am just not sure whether it is worth it upgrade now or stick with my current rig and wait for Haswell. I am torned as I am stuggling to play BF3 and any CPU intensive game but I am good with most games with low CPU requirement.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 2:36:37 AM

mavx4 said:
If I upgrade, I will probably go with i5 3570k with 16gb 1600mhz c9 (I do abit of photoshop and stuff btw). I am just not sure whether it is worth it upgrade now or stick with my current rig and wait for Haswell. I am torned as I am stuggling to play BF3 and any CPU intensive game but I am good with most games with low CPU requirement.

Overclock now and WAIT FOR HASWELL!!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 3:12:54 AM

Your pc is good enough for maxout any game.just install windows 7 and you will be fine.
m
l
January 17, 2013 6:29:12 AM

Best answer selected by mavx4.
m
l
!