M5A78L-M LX V2 power supply

Chase91

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
I'm looking at buying the M5A78L-M LX V2 with the AMD FX-4100 Quad Core.
I have most of the stuff figured out but cant grasp the power supply connection. does it have a maximum wattage it can take?
this is the part that confuses me:
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
Do I go by the EATX or the ATX?
I know the EATX is extended.
any suggestions on what power supply I would need, or information would be good.
I currently have a 24 pin 380w running a GA-P35-DS3L.

Solution
Motherboards do not have a maximum wattage. The equipment will draw the power it needs. Power supplies are most efficient when working in a 20-40% load profile.

The 24 pin connector is for the board, the USB connectors, fans, powering peripherals like CD/ROMs and hard drives and all the busses.

The 4 pin is for the CPU.

Only full tower cases or rack mount servers need an EATX.

You can only put one GPU on that card. With the 4100 and a cooling fan like a CM 212 and a good GPU you should only need a 550watt supply. Make sure its single rail, 80+ bronze minimum. Corsair, Antec or Seasonic. Some Rosewill supplies are good as well. If you get a mid range GPU like a 7750 that doesn't take external power, the 380watt should...

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Motherboards do not have a maximum wattage. The equipment will draw the power it needs. Power supplies are most efficient when working in a 20-40% load profile.

The 24 pin connector is for the board, the USB connectors, fans, powering peripherals like CD/ROMs and hard drives and all the busses.

The 4 pin is for the CPU.

Only full tower cases or rack mount servers need an EATX.

You can only put one GPU on that card. With the 4100 and a cooling fan like a CM 212 and a good GPU you should only need a 550watt supply. Make sure its single rail, 80+ bronze minimum. Corsair, Antec or Seasonic. Some Rosewill supplies are good as well. If you get a mid range GPU like a 7750 that doesn't take external power, the 380watt should be able to limp along, but you will not have much head room.

Solution