Solved

M5A78L-M LX V2 power supply

I'm looking at buying the M5A78L-M LX V2 with the AMD FX-4100 Quad Core.
I have most of the stuff figured out but cant grasp the power supply connection. does it have a maximum wattage it can take?
this is the part that confuses me:
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
Do I go by the EATX or the ATX?
I know the EATX is extended.
any suggestions on what power supply I would need, or information would be good.
I currently have a 24 pin 380w running a GA-P35-DS3L.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about m5a78l power supply
  1. Best answer
    Motherboards do not have a maximum wattage. The equipment will draw the power it needs. Power supplies are most efficient when working in a 20-40% load profile.

The 24 pin connector is for the board, the USB connectors, fans, powering peripherals like CD/ROMs and hard drives and all the busses.

The 4 pin is for the CPU.

Only full tower cases or rack mount servers need an EATX.

You can only put one GPU on that card. With the 4100 and a cooling fan like a CM 212 and a good GPU you should only need a 550watt supply. Make sure its single rail, 80+ bronze minimum. Corsair, Antec or Seasonic. Some Rosewill supplies are good as well. If you get a mid range GPU like a 7750 that doesn't take external power, the 380watt should be able to limp along, but you will not have much head room.
  2. Best answer selected by Chase91.
  3. Thanks heaps for that! You cemented my understanding in a very clear helpful way.
    Thanks for untwisting my brain cells.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Quad Core Power Components