Closed

Is my graphics card bottlenecking?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 14, 2012 10:05:02 PM

First off:
Rig:
EVGA x58 SLI-3 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.06 GHZ (Stock)
24 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 MHZ Ram (6x 4 GB)
EVGA GTX 590 Classified 3GB

Alright I have had this issue with my graphics card intermittently since I got it.

What is happening is that every now and then one of the GPUs won't light up, it's as if it's stuck with the core clock at it's minimum and I get low frame rates in every game I try to play. Even Kerbal Space program is giving me no more than 10 FPS when this happens.

Here's a shot of Precision http://img.techpowerup.org/120714/Item062.jpg (this is with Kerbal open)

As you can see GPU2 is fine and looks normal, but GPU1 is not doing anything. I don't think this is a bottleneck since it doesn't happen all the time. The only way to fix it that I've found is to restart my computer. Does anyone have any ideas here?

PS. This happens in more than just Kerbal, was just using that game as an example.

Thanks in advance!

*restarts computer*
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 10:20:11 PM

That is not the symptom of a "bottleneck" :pfff:  , and this is why I hate that people who don't know squat keep flinging the term around.
You have either a software or hardware issue, have you tried running the usual benchmark apps?
Score
July 14, 2012 11:58:29 PM

Mousemonkey said:
That is not the symptom of a "bottleneck" :pfff:  , and this is why I hate that people who don't know squat keep flinging the term around.
You have either a software or hardware issue, have you tried running the usual benchmark apps?

You are an extremely helpful individual and I appreciate you taking the time to help me. You are truly an asset to this community. :pfff:  Also, I didn't say it WAS a bottleneck I was asking IF it was so please read the thread before you rage. Thanks.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 12:09:25 AM

Download and install Driver Sweeper from Phyxion.net, uninstall your current nvidia drivers, reboot into safe mode, run driver sweeper and scan then clean all nvidia file leftovers, boot back into normal mode then download and install the latest drivers for the card. See if that helps.

If it's still the same then try a fresh install of windows, a BIOS reset won't hurt either.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 115 U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 12:28:59 AM

glockshna said:
You are an extremely helpful individual and I appreciate you taking the time to help me. You are truly an asset to this community. :pfff: 

Mousemonkey is right. 99% of the posts around here regarding "bottlenecking" aren't just misinformed, they're complete and utter fabrications. What you're experiencing is a driver or API issue of some sorts.
Score
July 15, 2012 2:59:46 AM

should be driver errors, reinstall the driver (latest one or try beta)
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 10:02:01 AM

glockshna said:
You are an extremely helpful individual and I appreciate you taking the time to help me. You are truly an asset to this community. :pfff:  Also, I didn't say it WAS a bottleneck I was asking IF it was so please read the thread before you rage. Thanks.

It's kind of obvious that you picked up the term from reading forum threads such this and with any luck other people are going to read this thread and realise they are as wrong as you were and then (with any luck) we may even see a reduction in the use the term "bottleneck".
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 11:09:08 AM

Mousemonkey said:
It's kind of obvious that you picked up the term from reading forum threads such this and with any luck other people are going to read this thread and realise they are as wrong as you were and then (with any luck) we may even see a reduction in the use the term "bottleneck".

I wouldn't put money on it MM

Mactronix :) 
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 11:30:33 AM

mactronix said:
I wouldn't put money on it MM

Mactronix :) 

Well I did mention the "luck" factor! :lol: 
Score
July 23, 2012 11:44:48 PM

Best answer selected by Glockshna.
Score
July 23, 2012 11:45:49 PM

wiinippongamer said:
Download and install Driver Sweeper from Phyxion.net, uninstall your current nvidia drivers, reboot into safe mode, run driver sweeper and scan then clean all nvidia file leftovers, boot back into normal mode then download and install the latest drivers for the card. See if that helps.

If it's still the same then try a fresh install of windows, a BIOS reset won't hurt either.

This is the only helpful post in this thread. Thank you for responding.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2012 12:00:58 AM

You're welcome. Did it solve the problem?
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 24, 2012 6:04:27 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!