100 mbps lan works on 10 mbps

Thegeek

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I'm not to sure if I'm correct here but if you have a 100Mbps router and a 10Mbps download speed from off your ISP, you'll only be able to download no quicker than 10Mbps over the internet, however, with your router being 100Mbps, you can transfer files, computer to computer on your LAN at high speeds of 100Mbps, but that will also mean having a NIC on your computer that can handle speeds like that in order to transfer files at 100Mbps.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I'm assuming you have already looked at this PC's NIC configurations to make sure it is set to 100mb, so with that said I'd replace the cable and see if that fixes it. Also try plugging it into a different port on your switch/router. Could be a faulty port also.

Your ISP speed wouldn't make a difference on LAN speeds, if other PC's are connecting at 100mb this PC should too. Unless the PC is from the 80's it's NIC card should support 100mbps full duplex so I'm going to guess a hardware issue somewhere in the line between the PC and the switch/router.

ryandsouza

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I have the same sort of problem. I have a Netgear router and the PC will only connect to it at 10mbps. If I connect my laptop to it, that will connect at 100mbps both connect using cables.
Oh and the PC does support connection at 100mpbs
I have tried:
Interchanging the port / different ports.
Changing / interchanging the cables.
Manually setting the speed to 100mbps on the PC
Updating the PC NIC's drivers.

Comes to the same thing... PC's still at 10mbps while laptop is at 100mbps...
Thinking its an issue with the PC's NIC
Annoying the hell out of me as transferring files either way slows down to a crawl...

Any suggestions short of changing the PC's NIC??