Home built super compter

jojobonzi

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Hello,
First, let me say thanks in advance for your help. Okay, so I'm currently in college (not fresh out of high school, was in the military for a while) pursuing a double major in Physics and Computer Science. With that being said, here's the deal. I've already learned Fortran, and am currently learning Java and MATLAB. I will most likely be utilizing various Autodesk products, visual studios, and Adobe CS6. I'm also trying to get into grad school, so im trying to create a super computer to hold me through past grad school. So far I have the following: Cosmos II case, ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS, Xeon 2643(ES that i bought off ebay because it was cheap...surprisingly its a strong processor and was thinking about just getting another one. My initial thought was to wait for possibly unlocked Xeon Ivy's), 8 Gigs of some quad 1600 mem just to get by for now, but once again surprised at the quality...its GSkill, an old PNY GTX 465 that i pulled from my old comp, as well as two old 500GB HDDs that currently hold all system info. I also have an ASUS Blu-ray/dvd/cd ReWriter and an older Antec 650W PSU. I know the PSU will need to go and have the 1600W Lepa in mind. The board can handle 64GB of RAM so when I acquire another processor I most likely am going to go with 8 8GB sticks of 2100. I also know the GTX 465 needs to go eventually and I'm leaning toward a 690 equivalent GPU when im ready to purchase around January. Im not sure if I should put two in sli or just run one. Im an Nvidia guy, so hopefully omeone can share their thoughts on that matter. I'd like to steer clear of the quaddro cards. But I am looking at getting a tesla or two...probably just one though. My opinion is that a dual xeon 2011 setup with a tesla and 2 690s is going to be powerful enough to run MATLAB and various other computational programs with little to no problems. So, hopefully some of yall with experience with these programs can shed some light on the subject for me. My biggest problem is in the storage/OS setup. Id like to separate my storage into four parts. OS, Programs, Mass storage, and Media/Entertainment. I was thinking that i could use my existing drives to house my Media and such. For the mass storage, which would consist of documents, files, and such, I was thining of initially getting 2 1TB HDDs and running them in a Raid 1 setup. I was going to set up a RAM Cache to this setup to help with the write. I was thinking about setting up the Programs to a dual SSD config set up in RAID 0 with RAM Cache on it as well, but then I found this and thought ah ha!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227744

I'm leaning towards this, but if I did go this route, would ram cache even benefit this particular drive at all? If not, would an upgrade in RAM even be worth it? If I didnt upgrade, I would have a total of 16 GB 1600 with 2 CPU's. Also, im not sure that i should even separate the OS into a SSD of its own. I was thinking that I could dual boot a windows and unix based os, but then again my work is primarially in win, and i could always use something like vmware to run any other os that i may need. I'm currently on win 7 pro but am going to upgrade to win 8 pro...dont really care for the metro, but love some of the other features...which of course is another topic entirely...okay, so here is another question. would it be more beneficial to separate the os drive and program drive, or just combine them into a single drive? I know where I need to go with this build and have pretty much all the pieces, I just need some refinement. Any and all input would be appreciated. Thank You ALL.

jojobonzi

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

I checked out the link but tere was really no specific information given on my particular problem, nor was there any info at all pertaining to 2011 sockets, xeon, or pcie ssd's. your template does help to itemize the issues more clearly though.

lol Physics is a very interesting field. If it were offered here I would have gone computational physics but oh well. They do have a space science graduate program that im interested in getting into. Pretty neat stuff. Thanks for your input.

jojobonzi

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

Sure thing, no rush here. I've been sleeping on this issue for many nights now, lol. :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: