Solved

Will a pci express 2.1 video card work in a PCI-E 1.0 slot?

I ordered a AMD 6670 video card but after doing some reading on this site, I'm concerned about its compatibility with my computer (a Acer Aspire M1100-B1410A with upgraded power supply) which has a PCI-E 1.0. It looks like it would work if there was an update for the BIOS but there are none for my motherboard (Acer F690GVM) that I know of. Should I just send back video card when I get it or do you think I can make it work?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will express video card work slot
  1. it should work fine since that card is not that tough on your system, all pci express x16 slots are backwards compatible
  2. It will likely work, but there have been a few reported cases of a PCI-e 2.1 card not working in a PCI-e 1.0 slot. The only way to truly know is to try.
  3. The main reason I'm concerned is that I thought a PCI-e 1.0 can give 75 watts in power and 2.1 slots can give more. The 6670 gets all its power from the PCI-e slot and doesn't have any extra power connectors. According to Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/613), the 6670 uses 105- 220 watts which is more than I thought PCI-e 1.0s could give. I've been googling a lot about whether or not PCI-E 2.1 cards work with 1.0 and a lot of people say it's fine and a lot of people say it's not and some even say they did it and it fried their motherboard! I'm very confused and frustrated!
  4. Best answer
    The 6670 according to tech powerup uses at maximum 58w
    Anandtech often.lists total system wattage.
    You will be just fine with the 6670 and a pciex16 @1.0
    Any card that only takes power from a pcie slot is under 75w at the moment
  5. If your mobo fries with pcie 2.0 in a 1.0 slot it isnt because of the card;
    Power draw from 1.0 is rated at 75w.
    If your pcie slot fries its because it was either a faulty slot or a cheap mobo
  6. Best answer selected by murron.
  7. Thank You guys! It seems to be working great! (I just got back from a week long camp, and that's why I haven't posted back till now)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Express Graphics