PC keeps crashing/freezing

funmusic

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
First time poster here, and rest assured I have searched the net and been working on this problem for days but to no avail. So I thought of asking for your opinions.

PC Specs:

ASUS Z68M-PRO
Core i7 2600
EVGA GTX 560 Ti
Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W
2x 4GB Kingston 1333MHz
1TB Seagate

I am not sure if this is software or hardware related. I run windows 7 64bit SP 1. 2 weeks ago my PC suddenly had random freezes when using it and even when booting. During the booting, it would turn turn black, would just hang, or have random lines in the screen before, during, or after the welcome screen. If I get past that, the problem is now in using the PC. I did a system restore but it was still the same so I reformatted my OS drive and it still happens but this time I discovered it happens when I try to play any video file, opening mozilla, and changing my theme to aero. The random freezes still occur though. I did not fail to install any of my drivers and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling them. System is not old, everything was bought 8 months ago.

Any thoughts on this?

Solution
Have you tried resetting your Cmos? It is the silver round battery on the MOBO. Just pop it out wait about 10min and pop it back in and boot up. Make sure your rig is off when doing that.

I think the problem is in your bios because of the booting up problem. When you uninstall your drivers are you using a driver sweeper program not your control panel uninstall or the nVidia uninstall?

Have you booted into safe mode and try doing some system checks? I know you ran memtest, so have you tried one stick of ram at a time just ot see?

funmusic

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

Thanks.

1) I ran memtest but it told me "Your version of windows limits the amount of contigious RAM a single program can allocate" it also told me to run two at the same time and enter 2047 instead of all usd RAM and this is what I exactly did." No errors seem to be found

2) Another thing I noticed is that my windows updates won't install properly. Now it has a SP1 on the download list which I have no idea why since I already have SP1 installed

3) I launched HWMonitor and it seems that my CPU runs at min of 37 and max of 73. Right now without any load its at 37-43.

Problem is still there.

DM186

Splendid
Are you checking your GPU temps as well? Did you update anything or add some new hardwear just before you started getting the problems? All your fan's working? Also do you get any messages from crashing or freezing?

funmusic

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

GPU temps are at the 40-43 idle. I didn't add any new hardware. All fans seem to be working. When the computer freezes it just does and there are no new messages or notifications of error on startup. Another thing it does now is that it starts up then after the windows screen it doesn't even show the "Welcome screen" anymore but I can still hear the sound of it going to the dekstop. The LED on the on/off switch on my monitor just blinks during this time. I consider myself lucky when it reaches the dekstop but is pretty useless since I can't use firefox nor watch anything.

DM186

Splendid
Have you tried resetting your Cmos? It is the silver round battery on the MOBO. Just pop it out wait about 10min and pop it back in and boot up. Make sure your rig is off when doing that.

I think the problem is in your bios because of the booting up problem. When you uninstall your drivers are you using a driver sweeper program not your control panel uninstall or the nVidia uninstall?

Have you booted into safe mode and try doing some system checks? I know you ran memtest, so have you tried one stick of ram at a time just ot see?

Solution

funmusic

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
I tried all your suggestions which worked temporarily but the problem still persisted. So in the end I formatted the entire drive including the partitions after a tedious transferring of all my files. So far no problems anymore. Thanks for the advices!

DM186

Splendid

That is good news and thank you and sure you can in the futrure. I am glad to hear that I wish you the best. Cheers