Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade question please advice me

Last response: in CPUs
January 16, 2013 4:29:54 PM

Hi all. Thank you for the help with this. I currently have a 1090t with asus m4a88t-. mobo, 8 gb patriot ram, gigabyte 7950 graphics. Im going to buy some sort of upgrade just not sure what right now. question is. do i buy a new mobo and over clock my 1090t and make sure the mobo well work with the new chips as well for later cpu upgrade. Or do i take advantage of buying a fx 8120 with a asus m4a89gtd. I'm getting a really good deal on the combo from a guy who doesn't need it. So overclock my current, or buy this combo and overclock it. I read that x6 are "better sometimes" . But if i overclock the 8120 well it be better. I know there is something about srm3 and srm4. I probably called it wrong but you know what i mean. I'm not the most computer savey guy. Please advice me i'm torn right now. If i just buy a new mobo thinking a asus sabertooth 990fx. that well work with the new fx chips, correct? Thank you for the help.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 16, 2013 4:37:04 PM

your system is not old so I dont see why upgrade. You can't overclock using your current motherboard? If you're itching to upgrade wait for new amd graphics to come out
m
l
January 16, 2013 4:39:48 PM

people tell me not to overclock with my current mobo cause its not heatsinked , something about 4+1 . I can build a computer but when it comes down to things like that its where i fall short.
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2013 4:53:16 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

You have a VERY good cpu with the 1090 (I run 1100Ts)

No point in going to an FX...

Invest is a better graphics card... http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=4...

All the best Brett :) 

Thats a nice card agree! I can't afford that tho. just purchased a gigabyte 7950 3gb. I wish i could afford that tho.
m
l

Best solution

January 16, 2013 5:51:22 PM

proamd said:
Hi all. Thank you for the help with this. I currently have a 1090t with asus m4a88t-. mobo, 8 gb patriot ram, gigabyte 7950 graphics. Im going to buy some sort of upgrade just not sure what right now. question is. do i buy a new mobo and over clock my 1090t and make sure the mobo well work with the new chips as well for later cpu upgrade. Or do i take advantage of buying a fx 8120 with a asus m4a89gtd. I'm getting a really good deal on the combo from a guy who doesn't need it. So overclock my current, or buy this combo and overclock it. I read that x6 are "better sometimes" . But if i overclock the 8120 well it be better. I know there is something about srm3 and srm4. I probably called it wrong but you know what i mean. I'm not the most computer savey guy. Please advice me i'm torn right now. If i just buy a new mobo thinking a asus sabertooth 990fx. that well work with the new fx chips, correct? Thank you for the help.

i can help you out here amd is my specialty. i would upgrade ur motherboard to a am3+ 990 chipset. also i would get an fx 8350 cpu i have one myself. the cpu is very fast for gaming and video editing it can handle any game on the market. its also the strongest cpu for streaming gameplay. dont get the fx 8120 my friend, thats old news. the fx 8320 and fx 8350 are the latest cpus out from amd now, and there much improved for gaming and editing and there like 10 dollars difference in price. asus sabertooth is a great option for a motherboard it has good overclocking ability to. it will deffintley work with ALL the FX cpus from the 8120 to the 8350. but again get the 8320 or 8350 they perform much better, the 8120 and 8150 were quite a bad cpu because they actually performed worse in gaming then the phenom 2 series.
January 16, 2013 5:55:01 PM

diablo34life said:
i can help you out here amd is my specialty. i would upgrade ur motherboard to a am3+ 990 chipset. also i would get an fx 8350 cpu i have one myself. the cpu is very fast for gaming and video editing it can handle any game on the market. its also the strongest cpu for streaming gameplay. dont get the fx 8120 my friend, thats old news. the fx 8320 and fx 8350 are the latest cpus out from amd now, and there much improved for gaming and editing and there like 10 dollars difference in price. asus sabertooth is a great option for a motherboard it has good overclocking ability to. it will deffintley work with ALL the FX cpus from the 8120 to the 8350. but again get the 8320 or 8350 they perform much better, the 8120 and 8150 were quite a bad cpu because they actually performed worse in gaming then the phenom 2 series.

i like what your saying. I'm getting the mobo and 8120 for 140.00 if i did that option. But i feel getting a good mobo now and getting whatever cpu is top of the line later is better option. agree? guess you just did agree in your post more or less.
m
l
January 16, 2013 6:02:17 PM

proamd said:
i like what your saying. I'm getting the mobo and 8120 for 140.00 if i did that option. But i feel getting a good mobo now and getting whatever cpu is top of the line later is better option. agree? guess you just did agree in your post more or less.

dont buy the 8120 ur going to waste ur money.. nail it right the first time. if you have to buy ur parts individually. dont drop an 8120 in ur asus sabertooth mobo pls lol ive had the first gen FX i had a fx 4100 and they sucked. no offense. and for gaming the 8120 is the same. the extra 4 cores on the 8120 only come into use when ur video editing
m
l
January 16, 2013 7:03:51 PM

diablo34life said:
dont buy the 8120 ur going to waste ur money.. nail it right the first time. if you have to buy ur parts individually. dont drop an 8120 in ur asus sabertooth mobo pls lol ive had the first gen FX i had a fx 4100 and they sucked. no offense. and for gaming the 8120 is the same. the extra 4 cores on the 8120 only come into use when ur video editing

Sounds good. going to pass on the 8120 with mobo and get nice mobo for 1090t and overclock it to 4.0 + :-) . if i can.
m
l
January 16, 2013 7:29:02 PM

Best answer selected by proamd.
m
l
!