Computer - 3 beeps and down

sheebs

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Hi, About a week ago my computer (2005 Sony Vaio) beeped 3 times and then shut down. I powered it back up and the fan ran loudly then 3 beeps and turned off again. I looked the problem up via another computer and it was suggested that it could be dust and or ram card. I opened it up and found it to be loaded with dust so I cleaned it !

Powered it back up and it ran like new - could hardly hear the fan - checked to be sure the fan was working - the computer ran perfect for a week then yesterday down again -same thing 3 beeps and off - this time though when I turned it back on it did power up with 3 beeps again but this time only the fan ran and stayed on - So I figured it was my cards - took them out went and got a new one - guy gave the wrong one so I put my old ones back in to see if by some miracle it would come back on - THIS time nothing - it will not turn on and the green light on THE BACK of the computer blinks and the unit has a ticking sound - that is the only sign of power in the tower. I do have power to the monitor- when I press the button it will turn on and say no signal so monitor is ok.

Any thoughts? I'm returning the new card and am considering taking the tower with me - we are moving and just bought iMacs so I don't want to spend a lot to fix this one - I only need it for a few more weeks - figures it couldn't wait another 3 weeks to kick over! Don't want to set up the new computer here so that's not an option. I am a learn as you go computer person so I'm not super savvy - when something goes wrong I can usually figure it through trial and error but this one has me stumped !Thanks it advance for any help/suggestions - if nothing else I can chalk it up as another learning experience!