Hardware fiddle gone wrong, Computer Crash

NiklasAmmitz

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
So this is where I'm at. I have little hope that anyone can shed any light on this, but I'm at an impasse here.
I am currently experiencing random crashes, after fiddling with a sound card and a graphics card.

Reason for the so called "Hardware fiddling": I've been suffering from Sound going absent during computer games, whilst talking with people through skype/mumble/ventrilo (outgoing sound). However I'm still able to send sound from my mic to them when the sound disappears on my end. My second step in problem solving was trying a sound card which wasn't onboard.

I had to take out my fairly new nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti. in order to remove some metal that were in the way of the sound card that I lend from a friend. A SupremeFX II. I had not luck in the end finding drivers or the soundboard through 'device manager', so in the end I just removed it. However, since this, I started experiencing crashes ever so often (the logest it has run crash-less had been the 5-10 minutes is has taken me to run this post). I tried to rewind software back a week, but no luck.

What I'm looking for here, is people that have experienced similar problems, or some good advice how to handle this.

I will try to assist as best I can if more computer specs are needed.

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Use driver sweeper to uninstall any drivers you tried installing for the sound card. If all else fails, back up your important data and reinstall Windows.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
+1^
Another thing you can try is cleaning your system of resource wasting crap and registry errors. Run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry both.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Also, you may have too much stuff running in the background. Disable as much junk running as you can.

If you do the Driver Sweeper thing, be sure to uninstall your old driver first, then run DS from Safe Mode. Have it remove any Nvidia and AMD graphics driver remnants it finds.

NiklasAmmitz

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
I never actually found any driver that I cared to install, no software were altered in the process. This is what happened step by step

Try to put in sound card, but couldn't. Metal stuff in the way.
Remove craphics card so that I could remove the metal thing (it was blocking it, sort of).
Remove metal barier.
Put in graphics card
Put in sound card
Turn on the computer and start searching for drivers
Notice that there were no new uninstalled devices in 'device manager'.
Drop the project.
Take out the sound card.

Problem remains.

Whilst I was searching for drivers for the SupremeFX II i started to see some problems. My screen went black for 2 seconds, and an error message from my graphics card reported that the GPU went down momentarily (Have not seen more of these black screens). The problem that persists is freeze frame, and sound crash. I seem to be able to do little but force a reboot.

(Currently lending a couple of other computers to check if I broke my graphics card, or to see if my computer will run with no problems, with my old graphics card, a 'Nvidia geforce GT 230).