Pc starts, fans spins and liights up but nothing appears on screen

mikejona

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Hi, i build my first rig a few months ago and ive been having a few problems. few weeks ago when i try to turn it on it starts but doesnt boot but then i keep trying and it eventually works. a few days ago when i turned it on it turned on but the screen remained black i tried changing the ram into different slots that didnt work then i put the gpu into another pci slot that too failed then i took the whole system out of the case and it worked fine. so i put everything back in then it booted but this morning tried to boot it up and it failed then i took it out again and still failed. btw i removed the cmos battery that didnt work too.

my parts are
processor: Amd phenom 960t
motherboard: asus m5a99x evo
Gpu: amd radeon 6870
Psu: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500WATT
case:Cooler Master Centurion 5 II

sorry if i posted this in the wrong section, i'm new
someone please help me

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Check the back of the motherboard and the case side. Make sure you have all the standoffs installed to create space between the motherboard and the case such that nothing is touching and shorting out between the case and the back of the board.

Standoffs are little spacer screws usually with a hexagonal shape and about half a centimeter tall.

mikejona

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
i already checked and they are installed correctly, i suspect the psu or the motherboard but am not sure and i cant just go and buy new ones

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Why would it boot fine outside the case and not boot inside the case ?

Try installing everything back in the case again, but keep it to the minimums.

Try it with just the PSU+Board+RAM and if you have onboard graphics, use that, if not, use your discrete video card. See if you can isolate what is causing the intermittent boot.

I don't suppose you have another PSU to test it with ?

mikejona

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

did that, the first try the screen flashed then quickly went off.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Okay, then I suppose you have tried resetting CMOS (just as a precaution) and checking to make sure there weren't anything like a small screw on the motherboard ? I know it is obvious, but good to not overlook.

Beyond this, the thing you said that you tried, was it the bare minimums boot or another PSU boot ?

mikejona

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

i tried the minimum boot, and reset CMOS. i think ill just take it for repair

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Okay, if you don't have a lot of parts spare to swap with, that is a good idea.