Closed Solved

CPU usage during gaming...60% = normal?

So I was benchmarking Far Cry 3 on my Xeon E3-1245 and Asus GTX 670 DCU2 and the highest CPU usage during gaming (including fighting pirates) was 60% on the busiest core... averaging around 50-60% on each core.

Is this normal? What is your experience during gaming?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about usage gaming normal
  1. Best answer
    Checks: http://ark.intel.com/products/52274/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1245-8M-Cache-3_30-GHz

4 cores
    8 threads.

Yes, that is indeed normal.

Anything over 50% means that HyperThreading is actually gaining you something.

This is normal for all SMT processors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_multithreading
    - Including AMD's FX-#### series, which are actually SMT, they're not full cores as they share an FPU (and/or other internal Resource Contention between 'pseudo-cores').

'tis a shame that some people on another forum, that shall remain unnamed, encourage people that there is a bottleneck because of this foolishness...

EDIT: Try disabling HyperThreading and run the benchmarks again, each 'real' cores ability to reorder instructions for Out-of-Order execution will sky rocket; much like the Core i5 - only with the Xeon's cache!
    - Each core will be busier, and performance may actually be higher due to this (^) and reduced resource contention between cores.

There is a fairly well known article on the net somewhere that covers this, from back in the Athlon K7 days when the DEC Alpha processors (including one that was never made if I recall correctly) explains it in 'somewhat' plain English.
  2. Thanks for trying to explain it in plain English! I'll disable hyperthreading and see what happens
  3. Best answer selected by tonysama916.
  4. As a quick update i disabled hyperthreading and my CPU usage jumped from 50 - 60% on the busiest core to 80-100%!! It felt smoother but I haven't ran a FRAPS test yet.
  5. FRAPs can impact the performance of stuff, I've seen a high performance OpenGL game go from 1400fps to 700fps to 1000fps with just FRAPS loaded.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Core