Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What are basic steps to enabling remote desktop over the Internet?

Last response: in Networking
September 4, 2011 4:04:11 PM

I have already successfully port forwarded my router and am able to connect to my mine craft server from anywhere on the Internet. Now id like to be able to remotely access my server from the Internet and install plugins or whatever. What are the basic steps to accomplish this? What port number should I use? Can I setup passwords so not just anyone can remotely connect? And can I limit which directories on the server's hard drive can be accessed remotely? Thanks if you can help.
September 5, 2011 1:30:05 PM

Is everyone on vacation?
m
l
September 5, 2011 7:00:19 PM

ahthurungnone said:
Is everyone on vacation?

Well, a vacation of sorts. I heard from jpishgar that one of the Mods here (Tecmo34) had a big back-yard BBQ that grew into a huge block-party and then progressed into a sort of 'drunk-fest'. Well, eventually the cops showed up to break it all up and there was some sort of resistance by a couple other mods and then it just got worse. aford10 tossed can of beer to one of the cops and said "here, have one, your all invited too" but the cop didn't catch it (it hit him) so he was arrested for assaulting a peace officer. Randomizer (being ever so slightly.. umm.. inebriated), yelled at a cop that he could "take him with one hand tied behind his back" and ended up with both tied behind his back (if you know what I mean). Proximon decided it was high-time to leave but tried to get away in a cop-car and would have made it except he didn't have the keys (bummer eh?). area51reop​ened was using a beer keg to keep the cops at-bay and had to be tasered a few times to make him drop it (he's a big guy, don't mess with him). mousemonke​y was turned away by the TSA at the airport trying to catch a flight to the party and missed it, so we still have him around. Now, most of them are... shall we say "Pre-disposed" until a magistrate sets bail. I don't mind them all being gone for awhile, but they should have invited me.

m
l
Related resources
September 5, 2011 7:01:49 PM

On with your situation...

I don't like Remote Desktop sharing because it requires action at both ends of the connection by humans.

A slick program that I have used is VNC Viewer 4. It only requires one person to make the connection and does everything or more than remote desktop sharing from Microsoft. It gets installed in both machines, one is server and one or more is client. Client can connect using password (or none) and gains total control of remote machine. From there can do anything with that computer as if sitting right there in person. If it is added to the Windows start-up, you can even do a re-boot and get access back when it finishes re-starting.

You can read more about it and download a free version that works perfectly well
HERE

Just a suggestion.
m
l
September 5, 2011 7:41:15 PM

tigsounds said:
Well, a vacation of sorts. I heard from jpishgar that one of the Mods here (Tecmo34) had a big back-yard BBQ that grew into a huge block-party and then progressed into a sort of 'drunk-fest'. Well, eventually the cops showed up to break it all up and there was some sort of resistance by a couple other mods and then it just got worse. aford10 tossed can of beer to one of the cops and said "here, have one, your all invited too" but the cop didn't catch it (it hit him) so he was arrested for assaulting a peace officer. Randomizer (being ever so slightly.. umm.. inebriated), yelled at a cop that he could "take him with one hand tied behind his back" and ended up with both tied behind his back (if you know what I mean). Proximon decided it was high-time to leave but tried to get away in a cop-car and would have made it except he didn't have the keys (bummer eh?). area51reop​ened was using a beer keg to keep the cops at-bay and had to be tasered a few times to make him drop it (he's a big guy, don't mess with him). mousemonke​y was turned away by the TSA at the airport trying to catch a flight to the party and missed it, so we still have him around. Now, most of them are... shall we say "Pre-disposed" until a magistrate sets bail. I don't mind them all being gone for awhile, but they should have invited me.

That was the bEst answer I've ever heard
m
l
September 5, 2011 7:42:53 PM

tigsounds said:
On with your situation...

I don't like Remote Desktop sharing because it requires action at both ends of the connection by humans.

A slick program that I have used is VNC Viewer 4. It only requires one person to make the connection and does everything or more than remote desktop sharing from Microsoft. It gets installed in both machines, one is server and one or more is client. Client can connect using password (or none) and gains total control of remote machine. From there can do anything with that computer as if sitting right there in person. If it is added to the Windows start-up, you can even do a re-boot and get access back when it finishes re-starting.

You can read more about it and download a free version that works perfectly well
HERE

Just a suggestion.

Thanks I will do that instead. But I'm kinda upset I wasn't invited either. :( 
m
l

Best solution

September 5, 2011 7:51:15 PM

ahthurungnone said:
Thanks I will do that instead. But I'm kinda upset I wasn't invited either. :( 

Yea... it's the old "Rank has it's privileges"
Anonymous
September 5, 2011 9:37:52 PM

Why use VNC Viewer when you can use the free version of LogMeIn and not worry aboyt port forwarding?
m
l
September 6, 2011 5:27:16 PM

Does LogMeIn work without port forwarding?
m
l
Anonymous
September 6, 2011 11:09:45 PM

Yes.
m
l
September 7, 2011 12:09:08 AM

Yep, it works great. Thank you.
m
l
September 7, 2011 12:09:19 AM

Best answer selected by ahthurungnone.
m
l
Anonymous
September 7, 2011 10:59:21 AM

Just out of curiosity, why did you select tigsounds for Best answer?
m
l
!