The 700W PSU from my old/er computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowcrush

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Well, i'm buying two GTX670's, and i want to cut the payments, so I wanna use the old PSU of mine, which is 700W, 2 rails of 12V each 30Amps. Would i have problems with that? And if i'll ever want to overclock? (PSU's are horribly overpriced here, 200 dollars for a 850 one...)

EDIT: Ah, i forgot to mention, these two 670's are gigabyte factory overclocked.

Solution
D
There are not alot of HEC power supplies here in the US or in Europe honestly so it's hard to find a real review of that model. I do know HEC makes all of Cougar's power supplies are they are mid range, not crap but not a high quality brand.

That model shows 648 watts on the combined 12v rails. Since volts x amps = watts we just divide 648/12 and get a true figure of 54 amps on the 12v rail. A system with a single GTX 670 needs a 30 amp 12v rail and adding a second card requires another 15 amps. Factor in some overclocking and you are looking at ~47-48 amps needed.

So assuming your power supply can actually supply the rated wattage and amps it should work. You are cutting it really close though. Personally I would feel better...

merandos

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
How old is that PSU, What Brand ? a 700W PSU should be fine for 2 670 in SLI but it might be a really old one ( lower efficiency )..so post the brand and exactly how old is it.....

D

Deleted member 217926

Brand and model? 700 watts is kind of an odd size. Most quality units are 750 watts. If it really had a 60 amp 12v rail it would deliver 720 watts on the 12v rail alone and would be labeled higher than 700 watts.

A quality 750w power supply is fine for a GTX 670 Sli setup even factoring in overclocking. By quality I mean Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ or Antec. And a few specific models from other brands.

D

Deleted member 217926

There are not alot of HEC power supplies here in the US or in Europe honestly so it's hard to find a real review of that model. I do know HEC makes all of Cougar's power supplies are they are mid range, not crap but not a high quality brand.

That model shows 648 watts on the combined 12v rails. Since volts x amps = watts we just divide 648/12 and get a true figure of 54 amps on the 12v rail. A system with a single GTX 670 needs a 30 amp 12v rail and adding a second card requires another 15 amps. Factor in some overclocking and you are looking at ~47-48 amps needed.

So assuming your power supply can actually supply the rated wattage and amps it should work. You are cutting it really close though. Personally I would feel better with a good ~62 amp 750w PSU. But it's up to you if you want to try it. In reality your cards will almost never pull full load. It all depends on the quality of your power supply.

Solution

snowcrush

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Then i will go for it, whats the worst that can happen if there's no enough power, right? Its just trying to save 200 dollars :p
So thanks ^_^

D

Deleted member 217926

Actually the worst that could happen is your power supply could blow up and take you cards, motherboard and CPU with it. Personally I would not try it with a power supply of unknown quality. Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.