Voltages question

Xexoxix

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
my motherboard (bios) has my 12v rail at 12.432v, 5v rail at 5.4v, and 3.3v rail at 3.546v. however, ive downloaded many programs, (aida64, speedfan, HWMonitor) and they all have different voltages! hwmonitor has my 12v at 16v, 5v at 3v, and 3.3v at 3.4v. which one is right?

edit: speedfan rated my 12v at 9v.

Motherboard BIOS voltage readings should be the ones to trust.

Your +5V and +3.3V rails are running out of spec.

+5VDC max allowed is +5.25 Volts

+3.3VDC max allowed is +3.47 Volts

You should check your voltages with a multimeter to see if they are being reported accurately in the BIOS.

What is the brand and model number of your power supply unit?

PassMark

Distinguished
Getting accurate readings for temperature and voltage from a motherboard isn't easy from a programming point of view. Each model of motherboard is potentially different, and there is no common API that just works on a range of boards. (API = Application Programming interface).

So the BIOS, which was tailored to the motherboard, has the most chance of being correct.

You could always pull out a multimeter if you wanted to be sure. Or use a power supply tester like the Coolmax PS-228.

Xexoxix

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012

sorry! my voltages were off. i checked the bios again and these are the voltages:
12V: 12.320V
5V: 5.152V
3.3V: 3.408V

I am using a rosewill RP600V2-S-SL.
I am planning on upgrading in a month or so to a Seasonic 620W M12II Modular Active PFC power supply.
plus another question, my computer went into sleep mode, and i had to press the power button to turn it back on. is that normal? i tried using the keyboard and mouse.
EDIT: the computer is going into sleep mode, and that is off now (only turn display off is on) because I am trying to download something in steam.

PassMark

Distinguished
You can control if the keyboard and mouse wake the computer from sleep from Windows Device manager.

Select the Mouse in device manager, right click, select properties, then power management.

Note however that on some (buggy) machines this can prevent the machine from sleeping at all.